or Connect

Posts by Tigerle

No unschooler here, but happened across this thread searching for ideas for DS1 who is on Easter vacation and just eating up any math we can throw at him  - how about playing yatzee?
I wish we could let it go that long! We probably could with the boys, but for some reason, DD is so sweaty we could never do that. The other week, we let it go for longer than a week because she had a cold. Not only did it look greasy and straggly, but when I held her on my lap at a concert, her head smelt so bad it was barely tolerable. I do not want her to go to preschool like that! I guess it's just a sad fact that they all hate it - sometimes you hit on the one...
for some reason no one has really commented on this elaboration of the OPs. This woman is clearly mentally impaired to a degree that is endangering her child. Regularly leaving a barely verbal preschooler for over an hour with random strangers she has met in the street? This is way beyond discussions of "untherapy". This child sounds as if it is in immediate danger, speech therapy or no, and the mothers behaviour needs to be brought up in the court proceedings so the...
Mine have sensory issues too but i had always felt that they worked one another into a habit of screaming like pigs being slaughtered that was way exaggerated. I am superfast, they barely get water on their faces and the shampoo we use truly does not sting in the eyes- ive tried it out in my own eyes, undiluted, in front of them! (The things we do for love...). At public places, complete strangers would leave their shower stalls to reprove my children for the atrocious...
I have to say the most valuable resource i ever found for understanding my highly sensitive anxious ds1 was this forum! Check out older threads with similar titles to yours and you'll find a wealth of knowledge from btdt parents. Testing will probably only help if your tester happens to be a psychologist who is very familiar with this population, but these are rsre because gifted kids are rare! You might also check out the SENG website and books by Webb whose first name...
In this kind of situation I would ask whether choosing one option would close off the other, ie if you chose the coop that's it for the gifted program and vice versa. If it is possible to try out one and still access the other if the first option does not work out, but not the other way, I'd always choose to do it that way.
Interesting - I was going to write almost the same thing as Aufilia: I would try to reframe her abilities to yourself as "clearly gifted, with a particular talent in the verbal field", rather than look for a problem (well obviously there is one, but it has to do with how far she is beyond her classmates intellectually altogether, and very little if at all with the internal discrepancy) Her WM, PS and PRI scores all within a range of 13 points, place her solidly into...
Sorry, I got cut off having to put my kids to bed! And sorry for the spelling, I was typing on my phone...I meant to say considering all this and that all the average stuff was about gross motor skills, hearing and the like, they might have come up with more interesting things to say about the spread of his scores and how it might help address his anxieties and rigidities in our case. So test interpretation sometimes isn't as easy as looking at the full scale IQ and saying...
I have no personal experience with the wisc. We have a testing date lined up for ds1 in june preparatory to applying for a gifted program and i made sure to schedule it with agifted researcher whose extremely commonsensical book on gifted kids and how to find them i liked.(her nane is aiga stapf and if you as well as your dh read german you may be intetested in her writing). From this book, from hoagies and from reading here i took away that no iq test is ideal and that...
Odder and odder. Sounds like she did not get the difference between a child growing up with two languages and one that has heard the test language for the first time on starting school 18 months ago. Why would she test him with a test for preschooers that is bound to depress his scores, if he is gifted as expected, due to the ceiling effects, because the WISC only might depress them due to his being bilingual? If she was so worried about that, she could have chosen a so...