or Connect

Posts by Tjej

Homeschooling is perfect for wiggly kids.   I've done K/1 a couple times now, and it is fun and easy enough.  Find good books, read them together.  Play a lot with numbers.  Discover the world, and you're good to go.   My only regret is that I didn't push my oldest a little more in practicing printing.  By push I mean I didn't require anything in K, and I think I should have.  She has improved a lot, but I sometimes wonder about the chicken/egg issue - I didn't require...
If it would ease your mind, make a list of the things you think should be covered this year for your child to be on par with kids in school.  Then you can hit those things and not worry about it (using curriculum or not).   Many states have lists  - or there are those "what your X grader should know" type books.  My province has lists.  Once you learn the teacher-ese vocabulary about what is covered, the lists are helpful at allaying the fear of "being behind"....
nm
It's actually not too crazy until the baby starts moving.  Then - use naptime well. :)
Kids naturally love to learn.  If you can get out of the way and let them do some of their own thinking and exploring, supporting them, they learn all sorts of things.   We are not an unschooler/totally child-led home - but a lot of the structure I impose is about bringing my kids alongside me in discovering interesting things.  We read them good books.  I pick out audiobooks too.  I have found a language arts curriculum that integrates handwriting, spelling, phonics,...
West Coast, Canada.
FWIW, our local parks/recreation people were discussing slides once and they made a point of how good it is for kids to work out negotiating slides with one another (up/ down/ taking turns).  The slide itself was seen as an instrument in growing social skills - not just something to zip down (or climb up).  I really appreciated their perspective.
How far are you in the LOF elementary series?  We're in E now, and I find it to cover lots and be well-designed.  It SEEMS random, but when you keep plugging away, you see the repetition and the building of concepts.  It's fine to use other things too, but LOF is better than I think you think it is. :)   We have Singapore around (probably because Miranda talked about it years ago :)).  We have used it some and it is a well-made, straightforward program.  There is a lot...
 BUT there is a lot of literacy learning that goes on in daycare -in Swedish models I've seen, anyways.  There is exposure and building of information, but not expectation of skills.  I'd bet you that there is a lot of use of language in the orienteering - and learning about directionality, for example.  Learning to read itself may not happen with many kids before it is taught in school, but there is a foundation laid beforehand that makes the building easier.  From what I...
I hear you that things change as they get older, but I also stand by it being unacceptable to talk ABOUT someone that way behind their back, even if it is never happening in front of them.  I'd correct that type of talk.  Again, I'd help the DD find words that express her frustrations and needs without denigrating the younger brother.     I also wasn't saying that the OP doesn't parent well - I was just saying that from what she mentioned, that stood out to me as...