or Connect

Posts by denimtiger

The mint is called EvoraPlus.  I don't know if it's working, but my 4 yo dd loves to be able to have one after she brushes her teeth (it also has xylitol), and her breath has been better in the morning.  Apparently it's the bad bacteria that causes the bad breath.
Sometimes (often, usually?) teeth that are prone to cavities are that way because of a colonization of strep. mutans bacteria (which can be passed from person to person).  My dentist just posted on facebook about new research that suggests 3 strains of strep. probiotic bacteria can inhibit the strep. mutans.     I searched, and found a mint containing the 3 strains (at Walgreen's, of all places!)... we're going to try that and see what happens.
I live in Thornton, and I am looking to leave my job as an elementary classroom teacher after 11 years and open an attachment parenting-friendly daycare and preschool.   I was fortunate enough when my daughter was little to have friends watch who were willing to feed her my milk and hold her and meet her needs.  I would love to give that back to other families.  And now also to teach and educate my own daughter in line with my beliefs, rather than those of the public...
It is often a struggle to get kids of this age to value reading, but the trick is to get them to value it.   Your instinct that you have made it too easy for him to manage without reading might be right.  Think about how he learned to crawl and then walk.  When he was pulling himself toward the toy, on the verge of crawling, were you inclined to just hand it to him, because it seemed mean not to?   People who can't read recipes can't cook using recipes.  That's...
Hello. I apologize in advance because this is probably going to be a long post, and I thank you if you take the time to read it. Here is some background to the situation: I am a single mama to a wonderful 3-year-old dd. Her father is mostly out of the picture, he is struggling with severe alcoholism and a host of other issues. DD has an older half-sister, S, who is almost 13. S lived most of her life with dad and bi-polar grandma; dad was functioning at the time....
Quote: Originally Posted by Hokulele Funny you should bring this up - I've been having a similar issue. DD is 5yo and I've been looking for good books to read aloud to her. SO many of them seem to have some kind of separation from parents. Pippi Longstocking, The Boxcar Kids series, traditional fairy tales (look at a traditional telling of how Cinderella ends up with the awful step-sisters! yikes!) .... etc etc etc. I worry that for DD that will...
Another thing you can try is super-high doses of Vitamin C. My dd likes the regular adult chewables, but at first we bought liquid C and probiotic powder from the pedi. Now she'll eat 500 mg adult chewables and lets me break open a couple of my probiotic caplets right on her tongue. My pedi recommends trying 250-500 mg 2 or 3 times a day, along with really high doses of probiotics. This has never failed with my dd, and if we keep a good routine of regular vitamin C...
How, exactly am I "socially responsible" for using a product invented by someone else? Breastfeeding saves lives and, if used universally, would create a healthier populace. Formula-fed babies who get sick more often than they would if breastfed pass their germs on to others and diseases are spread -- probably quite frequently illnesses that could be serious or fatal to their elderly or immune compromised contacts. Yet there is no "social responsibility" to...
You guys are totally right, I don't want to start a flame war, or anything. I'm much closer to the new father than I am to the Babywise friend, we just all hung out together once upon a time. He wasn't actually asking for book suggestions or actual help -- it was more him being "astonished" at her stories of how her baby's sleep training and STTN have been disrupted by a vacation... a "what is this mythical beast of STTN you mention? HOW OLD is your dd?" kind of...
So, a good friend of mine who now lives far away and his wife have a new baby -- a month old. Don't know how crunchy they are (I have never met his wife), but back several months ago he was asking me about cloth diapering. Anyway, during some back-and-forth cuteness with another (from years ago) mutual friend who has a four month old, she mentioned sleeping through the night. He asked when he could expect his little darling daughter to do this, and she replied that...