or Connect

Posts by DadMan

Thanks so much for the thoughts, I really appreciate it. We talked that afternoon, and it went rather well. She says these worries about other women are only coming up when she's feeling unloved (and no, I've not cheated before). She's missing hearing the words that make her feel loved, as we tend to have different ways of showing love.   So, resolution for now is; three times a week we're reading "Making Marriage Simple" by Harville Hendrix, with the hopes that this...
Thanks for your response. I've considered not going (I've done that before), but I'm the full-time parent, and I get to be without the kids just once a weekend, this is my chance. She's gone to clients three times this weekend which means I'll be spending more time with just me as the parent than normal. I suppose I could go do something else, but that would be a bummer.   That out of the way, how would I go about building her up? I feel like compliments to her would be...
Last night I was hurt by something my wife said while we were talking with a friend, and I was rude to her in response. She soon left the conversation (shortly after I apologized to her), and went to bed. She woke up the next morning still upset with me. I apologized again. She then asked me about what I was doing later in the day, and if my friend and his girlfriend would be there. I knew by the way that she asked that she was feeling threatened by the girlfriend, so I...
Thanks for the response, Dovey. I'm a Buddhist-leaning fellow, so I'll be sure to check out the magazine. I think that makes a lot of sense, not having to put so much time into a book. I can read an article, and it can help to remind me to be mindful of my process as a parent.   I'm pretty good at taking the kids out when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it's just been that the past month has really been a parenting-downer for me, even with taking the kids camping and out...
Thanks. I've tried some reading on the phone, too. I find that if I reach for my phone I tend to go for something a little more "snack foody", like a quick game or something, and then I get distracted and never get to reading what I had intended to read. I've deleted games before because they've been time-sucks, but I haven't done that in a while. Perhaps I should give that another try.   We did just hire someone to come twice a week to help me while I'm at home,...
1) I'm looking for good mindfulness resources (podcast, book). I have a hard time reading, paying attention to books is hard for me ever since I left college (when I used to read quite a bit). 2) I don't know how I'm going to change from not being compassionate/empathic enough for my wife, to learning and applying these skills. 3) I'm generally not happy with my life as an at home dad. I feel trapped and overwhelmed by the duties.   I'd write more, and perhaps I...
My wife and I have had a period of really intense growth in our relationship, in large part due to my recent acceptance of myself as a person. I've given up on worrying about rejection (mostly) and can be her equal for the first time in our 11 years of marriage. We've had sex 12 times in the past four days (due mainly to her intense sex drive, which was until now repressed by anti-depressants). We've stayed up very late talking, and reconnecting after a while of being more...
Have you found someone? If not, or if you're still looking for more, have you heard of the Mothering Arts group that meets at the Center for the Childbearing Year? It's a great group for connecting with other parents.
I need to become more patient. It would make all of our lives easier. Anyone know of meditation classes in my area that would help me? Or, failing that, some other class or something that could help me work on this?   Thanks!
My son and daughter have picked up b*tch from a 10 year old neighbor child, and it's become their favorite word when they're angry, or upset with someone. I'm hoping to make this happen less, or perhaps not at all. Grandma doesn't enjoy being hearing that word thrown at her when she doesn't cut the cake in -just- the right way.   How have others helped with this situation?