or Connect

Posts by seashells

You seem very focused on making sure we know how thin you are.   Look, there are two separate things going on.   One - you are concerned about your daughter's appearance. Stop being concerned about her appearance. That is toxic and no good can come of it.   Two - you are not concerned about your health or your daughter's health. Heath does not equal weight. Weight does not equal health. This is not just some PC stuff, it's real. The snacks you stock in your house are...
  Yeah, lunch is hard. Yeah.   Yummy salad dressings are not forbidden, though - you'll have to read labels but there are some (maybe not Ken's or the other cheaper ones) that are GF. Or you can make your own. I love salad dressings with a yogurt base. I don't remember the recipe offhand, but I've done plain whole milk yogurt, feta cheese, mustard, and I don't remember what else, and actually it sounded a little weird but when I mixed it all together it was a wonderful...
  I doubt anyone will disagree that a kitchen upgrade that really adds to your life is a great thing. As long as you can afford it.   I am not so sure I can get onboard with the idea that it is a sound financial decision to put it on a HELOC because you couldn't otherwise afford it. Why not? I think we've seen our answer pretty clearly.   1) If you lose your job or are downsized or your costs increase a bit (medical bills, car repair, anything), and your calculations to...
My initial impulse is to be boggled by that figure, too (based on my own lifestyle), but then I think of lifestyles of people I know and the number sounds perfectly reasonable.   In the US at least, 2+ cars is standard. I don't have a clue as to the average cost, but I know people, who are obviously doing ok but aren't "rich," who buy $18k-$20k cars (that's about a Subaru - more than a Honda, less than a Mercedes). If you've got two payments, you've pretty much got...
I think the next step for the OP is to define exactly what her goals are.   I don't think it's exceedingly crazy that someone might not want to just up and let her daughter's boyfriend move in.   And it's not exactly like her daughter has some big RIGHT to have this living situation served up on a silver platter.   On the other hand, it's true that an involved, competent and helpful father is priceless, both for the mother and child. And making it easy for...
  You REALLY stuck your foot in it with that.   Not only is it just plain a ridiculous statement to make, but also extremely insensitive given what this poster and her daughter are going through.
I don't think you will see much or any improvement with just a reduction, but do whatever you need to do. If doing it slowly is how you can manage it, so be it - but do not expect to see significant (or maybe any) results from a slow reduction. You may find motivation difficult without the results.   When I went gluten free, I had made the decision to do it but then took a few months before I actually took the leap. I had the luxury of being able to take my time,...
My thought was to use the computer to design a framework for the schedule, and then have HIM draw whatever pictures he wanted in the correct spaces. So you would point to this space and say "this is the breakfast space - what should go there?" And then he can draw whatever he wants to represent breakfast.   If that doesn't work, I think I would use words even if he's not reading yet. "This one says Breakfast, it starts with the Br- sound."   OR you could use...
I got a bill in the mail for a pediatrician's visit.   The items are:   Well Child Ages 5-11 Visual Acuity Screening Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions   We definitely had a well child visit, no contest there.   I assume a visual acuity screening of a 6 year old would involve some interactivity with my child - showing her the standard E thingamagig or maybe pictures for an emerging reader. This did not happen. He just looked in her eyes with the light. Am I...
You might have a look at the book "Boundaries."   Absolutely, you need to draw boundaries and ensure that you are treated with basic respect. Your DIL does not have to like you, but she may not treat you abusively.   Also, make sure you are respecting her boundaries as well. I too was a little "what?" reading that you are planning to visit whether she likes it or not. That's not acceptable, you must be invited to be a guest in someone's home. You'll also need to...