or Connect

Posts by KaylaBeanie

If a child is old enough to be in boy scouts, they're old enough to request a haircut. Beyond that, hair grows back. After a year or two, lobe piercings will never close up. The hole will always be there. Again, the damage isn't the same as circumcision, but the mentality behind it is the same; someone making a permanent alteration to their child's body that they will be stuck with, regardless of their opinions and desires when they come of age to realize. I certainly...
I think it perpetuates the idea that people don't own their own bodies. Obviously in terms of damage, it is nowhere near the level of circumcision. However, it is still someone making a permanent decision about the body of someone who can't consent. Furthermore, the only way to get an infants ears pierced is with a gun, which is a whole different problem. Every reputable piercer I've met in my state won't do it before age 12.
That walker definitely didn't eat Lori. No way could he have done it on his own. Remember the hitchhiker? He surely was snatched by a horde, and there were STILL remains left. There was only that little bit of blood from the c-section there on the floor. No other gore.    Andrea is annoying, but I sympathize with her. She's spent a year running. She finally has a safe place to sleep, and she can participate in normal things like parties and regular, hot meals and...
That's what I took from it too, and I couldn't disagree more. We are more than our biology, and it's largely believed that heavy paternal involvement is what has allowed us to evolve and thrive.    I also am puzzled as to why I can't bring up evolution when so many are discussing this mystical way "Nature" designed us. Nature didn't design us. It was brought up that the only appropriate person to feed an infant was the mother, because of the way we were "designed." That's...
Our history as homo sapiens, to be specific (so roughly 200,000 years). Obviously we can't tell much in terms of cross-nursing through the fossil record, just the average weaning age. It's obviously important to point out that this doesn't mean there's anything wrong or unnatural with nursing beyond that. As for cross-nursing, it's something that's been heavily documented over the past 100 years by anthropologists in cultures across the world.   I also feel that it was...
OP, if part of your concern is that she doesn't realize what a burden it will be, why not just tell her to go for it? I imagine it'll quickly lose its appeal. I understand the concern about peer pressure, but this is the little league. It's not permanent, like the tattoos and piercings her peers will be getting in a few years. Her hair will grow back just the same as before if she ever decides that shaving isn't for her.   The best thing anyone can teach their DDs...
  I think some of you all are overly romanticizing nature. My bachelors degree is in evolutionary health (anthropology). The best we can tell, cross-nursing was extremely common. Women couldn't stop working to go bond with their baby over a good nursing session, the baby was fed by whoever was around. Oh, and while some kids might not self-wean until age 4, 5, 6, 7...that most certainly wasn't the norm. Sometime in the year between 2 and 3 was overwhelming the norm,...
When I'm in the position of not being able to leave my baby for more than 2 hours at a time for a year or more and my DP wishes for nothing more than to give me a day off and bond with his child one-on-one (the supposed privilege I'll get to experience day in and day out), I'll make sure to tell him that his employment totally makes up for missing out on that.    I honestly feel this is the danger of activism, people not being able to empathize with others outside of...
Other and Needle.   My aunt got an epidural 10 years ago, and still isn't right. She had every complication under the sun. I know the chances are beyond slim of that happening to me (or anyone, for that matter). However, anecdotal experiences sure do shape us. I personally think that nothing sounds better than chilling in bed with an epi, watching movies and chatting with my DP until it's time to push. But, my fear gets the best of me and I plan to home birth to...
Again, I absolutely think that the outcry is ridiculous. Guess who is famous? The dad. Guess who's not? The mom. If the mom were bottle feeding the baby, I would assume it was formula (though I do acknowledge that many women feed EBM for a variety of reasons). In that case, I would agree that it would be better for the woman to be nursing in the ad. In reality though, nobody knows the mom. They know the dad. He is the celebrity. He is alone with the baby. Until it's...