or Connect

Posts by oikophile

I actually find a lot of Hanna's clothes too gendered. To me they've gotten more so in recent years. For example, the baby socks were recently offered in two shades of blue, two shades of pink, white and gray. No green, yellow, red. But I do like the quality.   I have been really pleased with clothes I've gotten from another Swedish company, Polarn O. Pyret. I like that they specifically have unisex in mind: "There is really no reason to design different models and fits...
Just reading back in this thread...for a while my baby was showing a preference for his left hand, and my FIL (who is a lefty) said we should encourage it because he'll be in high demand if he plays baseball! I do wonder if he would have mentioned it if baby were a girl. And the shoes thing...I don't get it. A baby who doesn't walk doesn't need shoes! Sometimes I'll put socks on him if we're riding the bus or subway, in case his feet touch the surfaces and then he puts...
Thanks, everyone. And thanks for the tip on the crinkle cutter! That might be a handy gadget to have that doesn't take up much space.
We have been doing a bit of solids, BLW-style, with our 7.5mo. A lot of people (and the book) recommend banana and avocado, but the few times we have offered those foods, baby tries to pick them up and they just slide out of his hand and across the tray/table, often on to the floor. He gets frustrated. I have had much better luck mashing the avocado and offering him a pre-loaded spoon.   I'm not concerned at this age about him being able to ingest the food, but he...
  Here is our little one the other night. We are doing BLW mostly by accident, because we're lazy :) Also because he won't let us spoon-feed him--like Genevieve, he wants to hold the spoon himself! So far his favorite food to chomp on is cucumbers. In this picture he is also eating chickpea-potato-carrot stew from the spoon (sort of).   His first "dinner" at about 6.5 months was snap pea pods from the garden and grass-fed steak from our CSA farm. He loved the...
Hi all,   This is my first post in the Breastfeeding forum (I think). I have a bit of an odd question.   I have a friend whose baby just came home from the hospital at almost 6 months old--she was born with a CHD and had to have 3 surgeries since her birth. She has never been able to breastfeed (and probably won't anytime soon, if at all), but her mom has been exclusively pumping for her this whole time. Her supply has been decreasing recently, and she is worried...
I like wrapyourbaby.com for tutorials and videos. There's also another woman's YouTube videos I like--her username is grayliadan. I've been working on her wiggle-proof back carry with decent results.
My baby isn't in daycare, but my partner does feed him the occasional bottle of expressed milk when I have to be away for a few hours. We have always used the paced bottle feeding method, although now baby wants to grab the bottle and feed himself! :)   You might want to show this to your daycare provider: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/ or just google "paced bottle feeding."
I found these two articles on KellyMom helpful:   http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/ http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/first-foods/   Right now my baby is 5 months old but I don't think he's developmentally ready for solids and he seems perfectly satisfied with just breastfeeding. He likes to watch us eat, though. And in yesterday's heat wave I made him a milk granita and fed it to him with a spoon. He liked it and wanted to...
Thanks for the pictures! I have trouble with slings (asymmetrical weight distribution doesn't work well for me) but this does make me want to try a gauze wrap maybe.