or Connect

Posts by kathrineg

Yup! He loves it.
You're confusing the frequency of monitoring with the tool used to do the monitoring. I had intermittent electronic fetal monitoring in the hospital. It doesn't have to be continuous to be EFM. The research you're referring to compares continuous EFM with intermittent EFM and finds intermittent EFM to be safe with fewer false positives. It doesn't compare EFM with a provider listening and doing the calculations themselves, which seems to me to introduce an element of...
I'm going to go get allergy tested and we'll see for sure. I have a life-threatening allergy already (shellfish) so I'm prepared either way.
We supplemented with formula and he had horrible fussiness and projectile vomiting, plus coughing, gagging, wet burps... He is not the type to fuss unless something is wrong--overall he is a stoic baby. So I knew something was up. Cutting out formula helped 80% but I felt like if he was sensitive to formula, he would probably be sensitive to dairy in my diet. A few days after cutting it out of my diet, he was a noticeably happier baby. When I cut dairy out of my diet, my...
Yup. Tuns out he and I are both allergic!
Just because things go right sometimes does not make them safe. That's not how risk works. People get lucky. It's totally ridiculous for you to say that people need proper nutrition or they need not to freak out and then in the same breath dismiss the idea that having monitoring, an OR, NICUs, and the like close at hand reduces the risk of certain problems. You say that death exists and isn't something we can control and then go on to blame someone for not doing enough...
Mine just suddenly started sleeping really well on his back, he's 7 weeks. A pacifier helps enormously (if he sleeps on the breast he keeps nibbling the entire nap...yeouch!)
I nurse my baby to sleep sometimes (and wouldn't wake him up just to take him off the breast) but I also look for opportunities to get him to sleep in other ways. I am hoping to build sleep associations with other things besides nursing for a few reasons. I want him to be able to go to sleep if I'm not there without it being big traumatic deal for him and whomever is watching him (99% likely to be my partner or MIL) So I don't think it's a BAD thing, but I can see why...
He sounds happy with it so who cares what it seems like to a grown-up who doesn't even sleep there! Sounds like you made a good choice.
I agree. I used to watch a baby from 5 months to when he was about a year and he would fuss in the carrier when he was going to sleep. He was right there with me and he was okay and I could generally tell that he wasn't anxious, hungry, in pain, etc...just mad at my inability to nurse him to sleep, and his general feeling that he was too excited and curious to sleep. Of course no sleep would lead to a crazy baby. (The crying lessened dramatically as he got used to...