or Connect

Posts by kathrineg

Sorry, forgot my actual advice! I know someone who had luck with moving the crib, not out of the room but just a few feet away and putting the side up. She also had her partner do the majority of the nighttime parenting, including putting him to bed, so the little one got used to being comforted in ways besides nursing. The thing is that if the mother would go to the child and nurse she pretty much had to keep doing it for the rest of the night. If she didn't, he was...
Well, some people really are much better with a decent amount of uninterrupted sleep. Eventually kids get older and no longer need to be latched/vigilantly watched 24/7. That gradual process, including weaning, is natural as well.
I think it's very impressive that he recognizes that he needs structure and has set that up for himself. He is taking the lead, it's just leading to more structure. Some people really enjoy and thrive with structured time and so, to them, that is what freedom and opportunity looks like--a schedule!
Don't have much advice to give, but wanted to say I'm sorry and this must be very stressful news. I wish all the best to you and your family member. When my parent had cancer and had chemo and radiation we all were extremely careful, got the seasonal flu vaccine, and washed hands constantly. Even so we were all very worried about him.
My baby doesn't have any latching issues but I have a strong letdown. He makes the clicking sound when my letdown is particularly strong (if we went a long time without nursing) or sometimes just randomly, or when upset. I think it's him swallowing air.
Ignore advice that contradicts medical advice about feeding your baby. I followed your story in another forum and I'm rooting for you and think you're doing GREAT. In terms of pumping with bigger breasts, I have to hold my breast and hold the pump or it tends to pop off. I have used the harder shields with some luck. My milk took at least 3 days to come in and I'd say 4 to come in "all the way",. It's hard to be patient when you have a baby who needs milk, I know.
Just sending good thoughts. Hang in there!
I have had some luck keeping my little guy awake until after he burps and then letting him fall asleep, either on the nipple but not actually sucking (which is messy because I drip milk anyway) or just snuggled on top of me. He will try to nurse if we're just snuggled but usually if I pat his back a little he'll give up and fall asleep without the boob. Wish he'd just fall asleep nursing but I definitely have overactive letdown and it's a bit of an athletic event anyway...
The cord doesn't necessarily keep giving the baby oxygen, it depends on how long the placenta stays attached and there are no guarantees. At my hospital birth a pediatric team took my son immediately, suctioned fluids out of him and rubbed him in a warmer. They gave him back to me for skin to skin a few minutes later, once it was obvious that he was okay. My placenta came out almost immediately after he did and wouldn't have provided any oxygen even if he had still been...
Would having the baby on formula be an additional benefit to your mental health? That's something to consider, too. For some women, breastfeeding makes their mood worse. If that is the case with you, that is an okay way to feel. Breastfeeding improves my mood, but the sleep deprivation from breastfeeding is hard on me so it's a tossup.