or Connect

Posts by Daffodil103

For $20/month it might be OK just to get started then supplement as you get more comfortable. You can cancel anytime. One more option.... Good luck!
Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Dr Nebel is good as well. It's a bit time-consuming initially but very comprehensive & flexible. It's targeted at K-2 so you may be able to use it with both kids then transition to Mr Q. We are currently using Mr Q & totally love it but your kids may get more out of it when they are a bit older. YMMV.
[QUOTE Wait, I didn't even think about the dry-erase board on that. Can someone tell me WHY she likes it and the pen over her workbook or a sheet of paper with a pencil, pen, crayon, etc? Is it a texture thing?[/QUOTE] I read somewhere that kids with perfectionist issues prefer stuff like dry-erase because it gives them a sense of safety. If they make a mistake, they can just erase. I don't know how much truth there is or whether or not it applies to you DD but...
Not sure how applicable these are, but below are some of the modifications I've made to make homeschooling feasible for us 1. Whenever possible, pick curricula that is not teacher intensive. I loved CIMT MEP for math but opted for Singapore instead. For younger kids Starfall, Tumblebooks, Reader Rabbit come to mind. Caution: We used a lot of computer based programs when my DD was young & I'm not crafty. I think that contributed to some of her fine motor delays. Her...
http://www.mybinding.com/ I have no affiliation with mybinding.com, just thought I'd share. Last year I got a GBC Proclick from them. We loved it but I forgot it at my mom's place overseas so I've been waiting for it to go on sale. Well, the Proclick doesn't have a deep discount but I ended up picking up spines, a combbind & covers. We love creating little booklets for printed sheets... Next, I'll be researching laminating for some of our 'masterpieces'. If anyone...
When Skedtrack first came up I dismissed it because it was on-line based. I tried HST Basic but I just couldn't make it work for me. I started using Skedtrack about a month or so ago & am liking it. Yes, it took a bit of poking around to to fully 'get it' but I think it's worth the time. What initially threw me off was how lesson plans were based on sequence, not date. Now that I've used it, sequence makes sense. If we don't do it, it gets bumped to be next day. Pretty...
We just switched to http://www.eequalsmcq.com/ for my 8yo. So far, loving it! I plan to continue with the Earth Science after Life Science. We ditched BFSU http://www.amazon.com/Building-Found...0736467&sr=8-1 Loved the concept, not easy to implement for me. I didn't have enough time to do the program justice. Still highly recommend it & will be using it occasionally for ideas.
If you have access to exam centres this may be an option. Most Commonwealth countries (Bahamas is, right) are familiar with these. This is the route we're taking with my DD14. It might be worth looking into. I think there are lots of advantages -lots of subjects to choose from -no coursework -you really only need 5 IGCSEs for 'A' Levels -lots of resource materials -you can work at your own pace -internationally recognised Cons -external exams are not for...
I think expectations play a significant role in outcomes. The most recent example that comes to mind is the StatsCanada data that shows that 88.4% and 82.4% of second generation Canadians of Chinese and African origin respectively will be attending university by age 23. The national average is about 40%. It's generally accepted that the single biggest factor involved is parent expectations. (Interestingly, school boards use the increase in % of non-English speaking...
Quote: Originally Posted by natashaccat Really??? I looked at the sample pages of Grammar Island but I'm kinda turned off by the non-traditional typeface and paragraph layout. Bummer, it looked like it might have possibilities otherwise but I'd be too distracted by the presentation of the material. MCTLA is an acquired taste. I now absolutely love this program. It took me a while to really get into. It definitely isn't traditional....