or Connect

Posts by *J*

Don't know where in VA you are, but there are CPM's who will do twins at home in some areas. I'm in Richmond, and none of the midwives here would do twins at home. I spent weeks trying to convince myself I could be ok with the hospital OR. We ended up finding a fabulous birth center with MW's who aren't afraid of twins, and switched to them at 20 weeks. It's about a two-hour drive for us, but SO worth it. I'm feeling so much better about our birth plans now! The...
I just recently switched to the capsules, more expensive but I was at the point that I couldn't gag the liquid down without it seriously threatening to come back up... The dosage on the bottle says to take 2 capsules, I was taking 3 or 4 since I'm pregnant. Then I happened to take another look at WAPF's dosage suggestions. Yikes! I'm supposed to be taking at least 10 capsules a day (and that's at the "some people may need less of the fermented clo" dosage.). I...
I'm in Richmond, not NOVA, but I know there's got to be plenty for you up there! Doesn't Sally Fallon Morell live in NOVA or DC? Anyway, there's a great farm raising heritage breeds on pasture in Upperville. It's called Ayrshire Farms, and they also run a restaurant and butcher shop. http://www.ayrshirefarm.com/ My local butcher shop gets some of their stuff and it's fabulous! I'm sure there are a million other options, I just thought I'd mention the one I'm...
Fish Oil-- made from the bodies of small fish, mostly taken as a source of Omega 3 fatty acids. Cod Liver Oil-- made from just the livers of the cod fish, and taken primarily for Vitamins A and D. Unfortunately, ALL non-fermented cod liver oil currently has added (usually synthetic) vitamins in order to standardize the dosage. Fermented Cod Liver Oil-- made from just the livers of the cod fish, but fermented in a traditional method. Green Pasture's website has a...
PM'd you, hope that's alright!
I might have good news about the birth plans... but I'm too worn out to do the story justice tonight! I'll give details tomorrow... Thanks for all the encouragement!
Cristeen, are you a fan of Alton Brown? He likes to talk about "applications." Sorry to get off topic there. To answer the original question, I use butter, lard, bacon grease, chicken fat (schmaltz), duck fat, coconut oil, and good olive oil. I also stay far away from vegetable oil, corn oil, and the like. By the time they're chemically extracted, bleached, deoderized, etc, they no longer count as food! I know some folks say they need these oils when recipes...
EDD: June 20th Name: Jessica Age: 31 (as of yesterday!) Location: Virginia Family (partner, other children, and/or furbabies): 1 wonderful husband (Sam), 2 small dogs (Polly and Lucy), 2 naughty cats (Annika and Max Power). These will be our first kiddos! Baby's Gender (hopes or guesses): I guessed 1 boy/ 1 girl, DH guessed 2 boys. Found out last week that he was right, we're having two sweet little boys. Names you like: We've pretty much settled on...
I like it too! I prefer names that are not too bizarre or out there, but are also not super popular at the moment. Being named "Jessica" in the one year it was the number one baby girl name took its toll, and I certainly didn't love having to share my name with at least two other girls in the classroom at all times. But I also really appreciate having a name that's not so kooky that folks have no idea how to spell or pronounce it. I guess this is my long-winded way of...
I'm drinking a strong infusion of Nettle, Red Raspberry Leaf, Alfalfa, and Oat Straw almost every day! Sometimes I do just straight Nettles. It's such a good way to get good stuff into you. As far as what to avoid, stay away from any herbs used to bring on menstruation or to help start labor or strengthen contractions. Obviously we aren't looking for that any time soon! No Blue or Black Cohosh, Cotton Root Bark, Pennyroyal. That's all I can think of right now, but...