or Connect

Posts by Delicateflower

I wouldn't use a manipulative that is simply labelled 1 or 10. Find a way to make a 10 (and 100) that look like ten (or 100) ones stuck together. There are various ways to do it. They sell sets of manipulatives, or you can cut out graph paper in a stick (10) or square (100), or some people use beans for ones and then ten beans stuck on a craft stick for ten. Or ten craft sticks held together with an elastic band. I used those blocks that snap together. It helps them see...
If you're interested in this, then simply giving your children tap water to drink will have the same effect (or more powerful, since it's possibly more dilute).   [quote]remember that homeopathy so distills down things as to be essentially barely there.[/quote]   It's not essentially barely there, it isn't there at all. If you give a 30C remedy to everyone on the planet, the odds of one of them getting a molecule of the agent are infinitesimal.   OP, if...
I think you have it entirely upside down. Learning how to read is a process that doesn't take long, but that's just the precursor to reading to learn, which is a lifelong process.
  Mama, are there many websites blocked for you there? If you can find one of those IP workaround sites and access some English language sites those are a totally fine substitute for newspapers. But you can't really teach someone to read with a newspaper because apart from the high level of language to get any sense out of it, the subject matter is often entirely inappropriate for the age. You need to find written things which appeal to his interests and have high...
  Luckiestgirl, with all due respect, there are people who can get to sixteen with no education and decide to teach themselves everything they need to know to advance in life, and that's all well and good, but there are other people (the majority) who will not have anywhere near the options they could have had if no-one had been watching over and guiding their education. IIRC the OP has had the same problem with her oldest child and it sounds like this child has the...
It depends how much of the day you're spending doing it, doesn't it? If they're spending two hours day on a first person shooter game after spending six hours cooking and reading and building and asking interesting questions then of course it's not a problem. If they're on the computer so much they have not learned all the letters by the age of 7, then that is an issue, and I'd be looking for computer time that helps rather than hinders their development. There are some...
  Fillyjonk, I agree that they are not necessarily opposed, but it depends entirely on how you use the computer. Halo on xbox, for example, is not encouraging of read, or of learning.
You already have a program, you just need to use it. Have you tried five minute stints, like the 100 easy lessons is set up into? Do the five minutes, then get up and move, then do five more minutes. Then do some moving incorporating the things he needs to learn.   I'd also get rid of the video games. Nothing seems fun compared to them, you're fighting a losing battle there.  
It doesn't need to be sitting him down with flashcards. There is a whole world of ways to teach between doing nothing and using flashcards. And there is also a whole range of personalities between kids who'll go out and invent the wheel off their own bat and kids who'll spend twelve years playing WoW. After all, we spend tens of thousands of years as illiterate manual laborers, so it's not surprising that many people have no innate drive to learn everything the world has...
Why is this? I loooove using an ipad to make lessons come alive. And with all the amazing space resources out there, animations, videos, press release, goggle maps of mars (and earth).