or Connect

Posts by loripickert

you’re very welcome! :)
 agree… here’s support for that opinion: “Don’t ‘just ignore them.’ … Sure, there are times when doing nothing makes sense – for example, if the bully is older or you're in an unsupervised area – but overall, with repeated bullying, ignoring isn't an effective strategy. Bullying is about power, specifically the imbalance of power. If someone can silence you, that's pretty powerful.” from this article: Bullying: The advice you got was wrong.
speaking as someone who owned a preschool for many years, it is absolutely possible for bullying to begin at this age (and younger). and i would call this behavior bullying.   i agree with the advice above to talk to the teachers in a “let’s solve this together — i’m open to your suggestions” way. it is easy to get very emotional about your children being bullied, but it doesn’t really help solve the problem. if you can work as a team with the teachers, you have a better...
yes! the family is currently hiking and rafting around the Cook Inlet in Alaska — you can read about their adventure here: http://www.groundtruthtrekking.org/blog/   btw, we have a new tumblr blog sharing kid-directed projects — http://pbhkids.tumblr.com — some of you may enjoy!
  no problem, believe me, i could not have edged into this conversation more tentatively. ;o)   i hope you find something worthwhile in the book! :)   definitely check out the forum if you are interested in pursuing it more; it’s a very kind and supportive community: http://project-based-homeschooling.com/forum
  “With the greatest respect, and having lived and studied this now for a decade, truly, I think for a lot of us unschooling is much more complex.”   okey dokey. :) i think at its most basic, unschooling is allowing children to learn what they want to learn when they want to learn it and how they want to learn it, so it equates. it may be more complex than that for some, but then we’re into debating who is and who is not a “real” unschooler and i back away swiftly making...
  the book is a collection of strategies for supporting children to direct and manage their own learning. most people would say that if you don’t supplement it with any adult-required work, PBH = unschooling. i am comfortable with saying that PBH would be one way to unschool. labels make me uncomfortable.
  projects are self-chosen, self-directed work done by children — not one-time activities, but a deeper exploration over time.   projects can be done by a group of children, but they are still child-managed and child-led.   projects don’t lean toward academic studies — there is a famous project done in Reggio Emilia by a group of three- to five-year-olds called “an amusement park for birds.” projects can be about anything.   would baking muffins be a project? it *could*...
i am actually the author — sorry if that wasn’t clear! :)
  that is why i piped up — because although it may “sound like” there is an expectation that some sort of physical thing will be produced, that is not what the word “project” refers to in project-based homeschooling — the “project” is simply the long-term, self-directed learning experience. the child is in charge of how he or she learns and what, if anything, he or she makes/does. i wouldn’t want people to steer away from it based on an incorrect assumption.