or Connect

Posts by durafemina

Your home life was going to be in serious disarray for 6 weeks? This fall (in 2 weeks time actually - eek!) we are: having baby #3, I have to travel to another city 3 hours away for up to 5 days a week to fulfill requirements for midwifery registration in this part of Canada (don't even ask, I have no choice but to do it now) and my partner will be working mostly full time night shift at a new job he just started and therefore can't ask for much time off...
also if you like homeopathics, ferrous phosphate 6 taken 3x daily is a useful addition to iron supplementation
Just wanted to chime in and say I've used spatone in pregnancy and also for clients (see sig) and it is absolutely wonderful - effective, gentle, natural and so so easy to take. It's basically iron-rich mineral water from a spring in Wales! The only downside is the packaging is a little wasteful IMO. . .but I guess something's gotta give.   It bumped me right back in HB range last time and I have it on order now (Hb is 108, ferritin is 13 and I feel like crap!) -...
Neither of my two midwives so far have had a vaginal birth and they were both absolutely wonderful. Personally I don't think giving birth vaginally made me a better midwife. . . although I do feel (for me personally) that experiencing postpartum made me waaaay more humble and compassionate about those first 6 weeks!
I've been tandem nursing for 20 months now - though I never *intended* to. A surprise pregnancy meant a small age gap and a very attached nursling!   I think dd latched on the morning after ds was born and it just felt nice and cozy to have them all snuggled up with me in bed.   The lack of engorgement (it came, but toddler instantly cured it!) was fantastic.   The hardest part was putting dd to bed after Dp had gone back to work at 2 weeks. It was very...
purplerose - I am totally milk intolerant except when pregnant. . . then I can drink it all day long and no intestinal issues ever. Strange!
emma - In my experience (ds was born when dd was 21 months and nursing regularly) I had colostrum - but it was pretty plentiful for the first 2 or so days, and then my milk definitely *came in*. The engorgement was just a temporary problem - as soon as I was uncomfy, dd would oblige by hopping on and having a big nurse. . . .ahhh relief. Really, it was awesome and there was no nipple tenderness because they were already being used. It was totally worth it! Plus I hadn't...
oh wow. I feel virtuous when I make my kids hummus (store bought when I usually make homemade) on a piece of bread and carrot sticks. Dp has been doing alllll the cooking lately, although I have to remind him to cook veggies   I hide under a pillow in bed at the other end of the house when there's cooking going on!   And worst of all, my diet seems to consist mainly of. . . white things. Sigh. Hopefully, if the last two times are any indication, it'll all...
For my first MW visit I went over to her house, we hung out and picked some veg from the garden, dd collected eggs from the chickens and said hello to the alpacas. I got some spun alpaca to knit baby things Then she quickly popped a few of my details into her laptop, we chatted a bit about my last two births and she had a quick feel for my fundus as I'm a bit unsure about dates. It was right at the brim - a nice reassurance, but I am feeling so sick I'm pretty...
Hello :) Due somewhere in the first half of Oct with #3. Still breastfeeding dd age 3.5 and ds 20 months! Got pregnant on the 4th PP cycle with a copper IUD in. I think Dp's sperm are a little scarily strong!! Anyway, am very pleased to be here all the same. I'm a midwife so I love making cool new people :D