or Connect

Posts by loftmama

Love those countertops, Mel! RR: semi-run yesterday for 1/2 an hour with family. Kids rode bikes. Dh & I chatted about our day. We stopped once so kids could have spitting contest on bridge while dh did a longer sprint, then jogged back. It was just right, I guess. For getting back into it. Then dh went out for another 3 miles solo. Main goal of being outside, exercising, being together was accomplished. Today, I'll add weights and then we'll do the 1/2 hour family...
Caught up! Real, I cannot believe that video! I actually stopped 5 min into it b/c 1) I was so upset and 2) I started crying for her and 3) I can't really watch videos at home w/o tons of buffering and paying lots for it.But, I'm pretty much stunned and don't quite know what to say. Ugh. BBM, my boys loved Roman history. Enjoy! I agree with Geo with taking a week off from gym. Sparkle, I like the sound of life being a series of "hellos and goodbyes." That really...
Just checking in to say hi. I am very behind and trying to get caught up. I am somewhere after NIc's triathlon and before Plady and Jo and Tjsmama's trips. I look forward to reading all about them! Laughing at the naked weirdness in the locker room. JG, adding Orphan Master's Son to my list, thanks. Plady, G had the ankle version of Osgood Schlatter's which is called Sever's Disease. There is really nothing to be done except ibuprofen for pain. It will come and go...
Height's a funny thing. On the hand, people think ds2 is older than he is and he does act more mature than his peers and hangs out with older kids. (My other kid falls in the less mature category.) On the other hand, when he does act his real age, he is treated as if something's wrong with him. He's 5' tall, 125 lbs in 4th grade. The school website has a picture of the elementary school kids who did UIL on their front page. I looked for ds2 and was bummed when I couldn't...
Like Geo, I have a kid who learns differently. There's what works for "most" kids and then there's my kid. And then when I see what works for my kid, I start wondering if that would actually work for most kids. The thing is, the different modes of learning are kind of opposite. And teaching one way can kill the motivation for a kid who learns the other way. And vice versa. So if I sound at times like a contrarian, I'm going on experience with my one kid. If I sound at...
Yes, process, which if you must teach at a very young age breaks it down into bite-sized pieces. Sorry about the doc. yes to everything you said, Nic, especially the part about cognitive dev @15yo and the diagramming. Back in the day, I would close my door and secretly teach diagramming to my ESOL students. They were light bulb moments. I saw first-hand the difference it made. My kids both love diagramming.
Back from yoga retreat and caught up here. Retreat was fantastic.i feel so humbled and honored to have truly amazing friends both here and irl. I do wish we lived closer but this is where we need to be for now. RM, Real and Bec, Snow: whoah! This must be a record for us. It is still on the ground - unheard of here. Jo, hope your journey goes well. I look forward to hearing about it. Writing: I don't like the way writing is taught but then I'm super critical. As in...
Morning, Dingos. Reading along but haven't had a chance to reply. Bec, Unimaginable. So sorry. RM, So sorry your Nana died. Sweet pic on FB. Safe travels. Mel38, I'm with you on the mountains. Good luck with your race! Real, hope you find your mojo. Are you getting recovery time? SNOW! I know many of you are sick of it or it's no big deal. But seriously, 5". Yesterday, some snow was predicted. Then it was 2". Now estimates are that it was 5 and it's still snowing....
Oh, Bec, good luck! I'm so sorry you have to go through this! Sparkle, just wow. Plady, hope C is feeling better. You'll get that workout in! (Yes, she died. The news has been full of people who have died from the flu, so much so that it's making me both skeptical and paranoid.) RR or FM: Weights on Wed. Yoga on Thurs. Ran 2, Walked 1 this morning. Yes, running 2 miles feels like an improvement. This is where I am in life. Weights tomorrow (plus yard work) and...
omg, that makes me want to pull my kid out of school. that's extreme, though, so i'll just have be extra careful with jackets. geez. i already am since the flu is going around like crazy. i called the gal who cuts my hair last week and she couldn't work on sat b/c the massage therapist got the flu the week before and died 3 days later. geez. she massaged me 2 months ago. so, yeah, i'm paranoid. that's a huge amount of work, sparkle! knocking on wood...