or Connect

Posts by foodymama

How does he do with different material textures?  Soap in a wash cloth pocket made me think of felted soap.  If he doesn't have a problem with wool and helps you make it maybe he'll be more excited to use it.  Just a thought!   http://rhythmofthehome.com/2010/07/felted-soap-tutorial/
Our DD is also very sensitive to everything you described and has been diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD). We don't use the term SPD around DD because we don't want her labeled either (I completely understand).  DD has always been shy and when she was younger it was more difficult to deal with because we couldn't reason with her.  DD isn't just shy, if someone persists on speaking with her she will get extremely angry.  As she's gotten older, before we go...
I have been waiting for this time for almost 2 years.  Our DD is 41/2 and we have been waiting until I became healthy enough to TTC.  I am 35 and I have rheumatoid arthritis and severe allergies.  Back when I had DD I listened to whatever the mainstream advice was, listened to my rheumatologist and OB and did exactly as they said without question.   I am much more educated now!  I already met with a midwife who does home births and thinks I'm healthy enough to...
We want to homeschool so our daughter can learn in a calm, loving, and familiar atmosphere.  Our daughter has Sensory Processing Disorder and gets over stimulated in the simplest of settings.  Home is the right place for her to thrive!
Thank you everyone for your responses!  DH and I attended a SPD seminar at an OT office this past weekend.  Between all of your honest and helpful responses and the seminar we have decided that we will be homeschooling.  It really has taken quite a load off our backs to have made this decision!  Thank you again!
My sister and I fought terribly growing up.  There was 3 years between us.  We are now best of friends.  My DD is 4 and her DS is 4.  We can now laugh at all the things we see in each others children that irritated us about each other growing up.  I know dealing with it must be frustrating but I think the biggest thing my Mom did for us is treat us fairly and as equals.  As long as you do that I think the future will take care of itself for the best!
crunchy_mommy ever since I started on this board I recall that our lives were parallel in a lot of ways. (I have rheumatoid arthritis and DD was a high needs baby and turned into a special needs child with SPD) I haven't been on here in a while due to just dealing with my health and life but after I saw your post I had to reply.  I really do understand!  I hoped that DD would out grow some of the difficult behaviors but that isn't happening and I see you're having...
DD is 4 yo and will be testing for kindergarten very soon (in a month or two). DH and I always thought we would homeschool.  However, I am having some doubts with homeschooling and public school. I would be the one doing the homeschooling probably through a cyber school. I am more than willing to try to homeschool but I am not sure DD would listen and be able to be taught by me. She normally doesn't cooperate much during the day now.     My thoughts are all over the...
I liked Oak Meadow on Facebook and have already liked Mothering.  My DD is 4 so it was a little difficult to answer some questions but I was looking for a survey just like this in order to decide what approach to take with her so the learning can go a little smoother here at home.  Thank you very much Oak Meadow and Mothering!  The survey itself has helped enormously!
Same situation here!  I understand your frustration completely!  We were having problems with DD doing any little thing during the day so I thought a chart would make the day a little more concrete for her so she would know what to expect and in what order.  I made the chart when she was 2 yo.  But...I had the same problem, every picture I used was an argument.  I used a picture of an apple and a banana for snack time.  She insisted that that is the only thing she could...