or Connect

Posts by MamaRBH

My SID daughter started kindergarten and has to wear socks and pants for fitness/phys ed. She would prefer an open cotton dress and no socks, for obvious SID reasons. Dressing her is causing morning struggles and I don't want her to start her day off that way. I need seamless but frugal resources. Is there such a thing? My internet search was financially draining. I don't have much money at all to spend.
My 6yo S is getting a cavity filling on 7/19. She's never tolerated tooth brushing well and I have a hard time forcing m brush to those back teeth...my husband has an even harder time - he gives in pretty fast. That said, I shouldn't be surprised about the cavity but I can't help feeling guilty. Our dentist referred her to a pediatric deintist specializing in Special Needs. I had to choose sedation method and I chose the highest of them all without her being put out...
Hi Mamas... okay, I haven't been pregnant in alomost 5 years, so I'm a little out of the know in good pregnancy books. I also decided, after peeking in the "what to expect" book, that pregnancy books weren't for me. I read one week-by-week just to keep up on physical developments, but that's about it. I do remember my DDC here talking about books they agreed were great. I was fortunate to have amazing breastfeeding with my children, so never looked into books on...
Thank you so much for your reply! DD is getting a 3 hour evaluation tomorrow both in her preschool and home settings. I spoke to the OT on the phone about the loose joints as well as a doctor of mine today and both said the same thing - it isn't necessarily related to the SPD. It is a neurological disorder that should be properly diagnosed. I'm not sure I would want any treatment if there even is any. I think my biggest concern at this point is that, like you...
Did some research....hypotonia is looking like a major possibility.
So good things are rolling, Anne! We had the ADHD paperwork. It was actually fairly easy to get done even from the teacher. A lot of it weighs on the teacher's perception, which was hard for us since it was the start of the school year. It really sounds like you have a better grip on what's going on with him, as well as more support from the doctor and school now. With them and your beautiful maternal instincts - your son will thrive.
My DD is only 6yrs, but she has a diagnosed sleep disorder. She couldn't fall asleep. When she did, she'd wake a couple hours later and be up for hours on end. She'd be so exhausted all day that she'd pass out while sitting up in random places. (she also has a sensory disorder that was playing a role in the sleep disturbance) They suggested we use Melatonin. Our OT also suggested we use a weighted blanket. She has an 8lb blanket that she absolutely loves. We used...
Speech was an issue when she was younger. When she was 2, she was silent. We started speech therapy then. By the time she was 4 she was speaking in a 2yr range...and now at 6, her speech is in normal range. (a-men for early intervention!) I got word from the case manager today that they have an OT on their team who is going to evaluate DD. I am really happy about that because I was concerned these issues of weakness would not be looked at...that they would focus...
Rachelle, Wow, thank you! A lot to think about that I never would have considered. She did meet her large motor skills w/in typical timeframes. Fine motor skills were a bit delayed, but not overly so. She is healthy, as far as we know. Her biggest issues are sensory struggles, social struggles, and emotional struggles. We are currently in the beginning stages of IEP planning/testing/etc. and afetr the first interview and evaluation they saw a definitie...
Quote: Originally Posted by Polliwog If your insurance will pay for an evaluation, I'd probably do it. The school district doesn't provide the type of OT that my son get's privately (the sensory and movement-type stuff) so we do that separately. Where in NC are you? PM me if you want. I'm in the Triangle. (And if I already know the answer, then tell me because my memory stinks.) Thanks for such a quick reply, Polliwog! I think I'll get...