or Connect

Posts by Barefoot Farmer

I'm an experienced baby-wearer with 5 children. My 4 yr old son has Down's syndrome. While he walks (and runs) beautifully, I often use my ergo with him when the parking lot is a far distance or when I go into the library (or other public space) and I need my attention to go other places because he tends to wander. I'm not a big fan of strollers (I have a wonderful Phil & Ted, but its extra work, I'm awkward with strollers, he yells more, etc). However, I'm finding my...
We have a holiday tradition of making our children at least one homemade gift, usually one from mom, one from dad. Last year I made everyone a pair of PJs. This year David is building a large schoolhouse chalkboard for the younger 4 children and I am sewing the 4yrDD a mermaid doll. But I'm looking for ideas for my 10yr old DD. While she will use the chalkboard, it is really more of a gift for the younger ones. Past homemade gifts she has gotten: her own mermaid doll,...
My trips are almost 4 (g/b/b). We also have 2 others. I went to 35 weeks (I do believe I could have gone longer had a doc not scared me into labor with a threat of a c-section w/o my husband - longer story). My trips were 4lbs, 4.5lbs, and 5lbs. My OB at the time in upstate NY had previously delivered triplets vaginally and was supportive of it under certain conditions - no previous c-sections and at least two babies in right position (not breech). I had a previous...
Another triplet mama here. Total of 5, one older, one younger. My trips are 2.5years. I would agree with the previous posters that you and your partner should talk about your priorities and what you are willing to give on. Cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and giving attention to our oldest were our main priorities. We put help into the home for the first 3-5 months. One of my sons had a lot of difficulty nursing and I had to accept that he wouldn't have the same...
I was coming to the forum tonight to write a similar post. I have triplet 2.5 year olds (b/b/g), an older DD (8), and now an 8 mo old. Yikes! When my last baby was born, I had 4 UNDER 2. Yup. I have developed many strategies to combat stress, getting overwhelmed, stress, you name it. My top ones are: coming on to mothering and reading/writing. No joke. Seriously. Another one, plan a photo day with your kids or a photo hour where you try and take cool/great shots of...
When my trips were that age, we were in a solid walking routine. Our oldest was 7 at the time. Our bedtime routine went like this: 5pm dinner, 6pm everyone upstairs. 6-7 bath, pjs, and books/milk/nursing for triplets. 7yr old either participated or did independent reading and lunch making. 7pm, if DH was home, 2 of the trips were walked together, one in ergo, one in arm cradle (quite the workout!) and the third trip was walked by the other parent. The two trips were...
My almost 9 yr old daughter has shown a lot of interest in adult same sex relationships lately (by a lot I mean mentioned it 2-3 times and married a girl while playing the game LIFE the other day). One of her mentions what that there are never any same sex couples in any of the books that she reads (she is reading at a 4-5th grade level, Harry Potter, Rick Riordan, Penderwick stuff). She is right and I would like to remedy this. We have board books that depict...
I hope this is not a hijack of the thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for older children? My 9 yr old daugher is asking why none of the books she is reading is showing same sex couples in the parents in the books or in any of the characters. I don't want to ignore this, but am scratching my head as to what to suggest. I found "Between Mom and Jo" via amazon which had good reviews, but I was wondering if there were any books where the focus isn't on the gay...
Thank you for the book recommendations.  Having 5 and hearing from people with 7, 8, 9 makes me feel better, although this 4 kids two years and under thing is pretty much kicking my ass.
Thank you for the suggestions.  The diaper covers are Bummis Super Whisper Wraps and Thirsty.  I will trying boiling them and/or Dawn dish detergent.  And I just ordered 4 Mother-ease covers.   Thank you.