or Connect

Posts by Eyelet

I live in North Lake County near Waukegan. It is definitely cheaper then the other towns you've mentioned (if you're willing to live in a so-so area), unfortunately it's a dead zone for anything crunchy. The closest Whole Foods is Deerfield, not an easy hike. Not sure about homeschool groups. I completely understand the desire to live in a lower cost of living area, that's what brought us here, butt I do want to give you a heads up that that Waukegan has the highest crime...
GFCF diet did nothing for my son, as well. This is just an inkling and purely my humble opinion only, but it seems the GFCF diet works best for higher functioning individuals.. my son is on the severe end of the spectrum and functions on a 15 month old level (he's 16 years old and developmentally delayed).. yeah, diet did not change that. If anything, it exacerbated behavior issues because he could not have his favorite foods and did not understand why.
Was their subject matter often heaven and hell? What was their usual subject matter? Realistic or abstract?
I have a 15 year old son with nonverbal autism. Not sure what kind of special needs situation you're seeking, but I may be interested in helping you. I will PM you my email address.
I'm really having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought process of thinking lobster on food stamps is fraud.. "How dare you have the audacity to not afford the cost of food! You deserve rice and beans only!" 
Linda - congratulations on your job, that is great. I also consider going into special ed when my son is a bit older, simply because I personally feel it's more of a calling then a profession. My son has severe autism/nonverbal and attends a self contained special education school for profound students.. because of this I'm actually more drawn to working with profound students because that is what I know best. Anyhow, good luck to you and best wishes. :o)   ETA: Have...
How is it fraud to buy lobster with food stamps? If lobster is an approved food covered by food stamps, that is not fraud. Recipients of government assistance are NOT getting rich off of help. Food stamps in particular do not cover tobacco/alcohol, pet food, "ready made' foods, and non food items. The average family of 4 (at least in Illinois) receive about $200 a month (or less) in food stamps and it's not an easy process to get approved.    All this talk of...
I took the survey. I do have a suggestion.. many of the questions assume the disabled child is verbal. Perhaps there should be a question pertaining to if your child has language skills. :)
  My son loves his body sox - we just had to get him a larger size now that he's getting bigger. I have found compression clothing here and they ship worldwide: http://www.especialneeds.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1 They are spendy, so it might be worth seeing if you can make them yourself.   Honestly, what works best for my son is the brushing technique, joint compression, and a weighted vest. We also have a trampoline and an indoor swing...
My son has severe sensory issues as well, but he is on the autism spectrum.   I agree a neurodevelopmental evaluation is in order to at least rule out other neurological and//or other developmental issues. My son receives sensory integration therapy daily from his OT in school and they suggest the following for us at home:   - Brushing technique (several times a day) - Weighted Vest/blankets/lap pads - Compression clothing - Joint compression -...