or Connect

Posts by RunAround

I hope this post isn't too harsh or offensive, either. Frankly, before making the commitment to a mortgage, I think you and your mom might benefit from increasing your financial education. I'm not necessarily a Dave Ramsey groupie, but his advice does seem to be very straightforward for people dealing with general money mismanagement/debt. I think before you start diverting resources from your family, it might be worth the investment in education. Maybe you could start by...
Just some notes on my family's experience... We recently sold our home for a loss. We're in an apartment that is less than 1/2 the size. And, well, it's awesome! We "had" to sell because we're relocating, but I saw it as an opportunity to undo a decision that looked really great a few years ago, but started not looking so good when housing and jobs in our area declined. We're saving a lot of money each month between rent and utilities. And, we don't have the...
My kids are 22 months apart. We didn't buy a double stroller before my second son was born, but ended up getting a double "urban" jogger when he was about 2 months. Almost 3 years later, we are still using the "fancy" stroller, but I'm really glad we waited until after baby 2 was born. (I was oh, so sure we wouldn't need one with my mad babywearing skillz. Baby boy had other ideas! ) I've done the single stroller plus wearing a kid thing, only it was not my youngest...
Quote: Originally Posted by Norasmomma Hmmmmm-I guess I'm an odd-ball, I find having two kids in many ways easier than one. Things can definitely change once younger sib gets mobile and goes after older sibs toys. Just sayin'... My oldest struggles a lot with the whole "community resources" concept. They, ahem, disagree vehemently and with brute force several times a day and my younger son has the language and strength to really go mano a mano...
My boys are less than 2 years apart. My oldest was very, very attached. (Still is! Spent 20 mins hung on my back like a baby monkey while I cooked dinner yesterday and, yes, he's nearly 5. Reminded me of my Ergo years!) Short version? I'm SO GLAD we had our second child. It has been so, oh, so hard. It wasn't the babyhood - moms have experience to draw on the second time. It's splitting the attention as well as mediating/coaching a developing sibling relationship that...
My oldest has been stirring the pot, so to speak, since birth. He really pushes my (and my husband's and his brother's) buttons and always has. How do we handle it? Well, the check I write for preschool is about the most important line item in our budget. The next important line item in our budget is MY THERAPY! His personality is intense and persistent and he does need to be coached when his behavior is out of bounds, but I've personally found it beneficial for my...
Someone told me and my husband the line about how parenting is "the hardest thing you'll ever love". That is about the most accurate thing anyone told me before my first little guy left my belly. Honestly, an expectant parent is in that weird purgatory, not yet a parent, but not not a parent. If people ask, I don't sugarcoat it. (But, because I got a crazy hard baby, I also have to resist the temptation to scare the wits out of the prospective parent for sport!)...
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses!
Thanks for the posts! I'm sure there are others out there taking notes, too! In addition to decluttering (I'm truly a master in this regard ), anyone have experience with frugally enlisting reliable loading/unloading help in 2 cities, booking moving services, and on-the-road travel? The last time I moved, it was just 2 adults. One adult drove one car + pets driving over 19 hrs/day, the other adult followed a few days behind with packed truck + car trailer. This doesn't...
In a few months, we'll be moving several states away. My husband's company will be assisting with the cost, but we're looking to keep the expense and aggravation to a minimum, of course. For those who have recently schlepped cross-country with kids, do you have any words of wisdom? Things you'd wished someone had told you? Thanks in advance!