or Connect

Posts by mashrb

I can't help but keep this thread going. It's fascinating to me, and I would love to see how others' kids progress through this phase. Mine came home from school last Tuesday so super-excited and happy and told me about a bunch of stuff she did--it was so fun for me, as I practically drool over every nugget of information she gives me about her hours away from me. But then the funniest thing. Over the period of several days off of school for Thanksgiving, she told me,...
That's great! And it reminds me--my daughter actually told me that she draws at school all the time because her daddy likes her drawings so much. So there might be some aspect of connecting to us while away from us when she's coloring at school. So fascinating how their little minds work even when they/we don't know it.   Also, I had a conversation with her about whether or not she knew she could play with the other stuff at school, and used the pink tower as an...
My 3.5yo is also somewhat anxious, though perhaps not to the same degree. She's also an observer, big time. And she, too, puts most of her time into scribbles at school, but then she comes home and her drawing and coloring at home is totally different (faces, houses, attempts at squares and letters and numbers, her version of "cursive writing," etc.). My theory has been that at school, she seeks out coloring and play dough because they are familiar activities that...
I came to this board looking to see if anyone was feeling the way I was feeling, and Amia, I could have written your posts almost in their entirety. In fact, as I read them, I thought more and more that we might have kids at the same school. I'm going to PM you, because really--I think we might be at the same school. Small world.   In any case, I am relieved to see that I'm not alone. I'm also happy to see some of the responses, esp. yours, Montessoriyes, as what you...
My daughter went through the same thing at 18-19 months. It turned out she was getting her first molars. I think it lasted for maybe a couple of weeks or so, and then she snapped right out of it. I also found out after the matter that some people find that 18 months is kind of a peak time for separation anxiety. It was frustrating, but I would agree that discipline won't do any good at all. Frozen bagels were soothing, but really, I did end up doing a lot of carrying...
Thanks for the replies. We have had a potty for a while, and she liked sitting on it at first (several months ago), but then wanted nothing to do with it for a long time. Until this week, in fact. But she says she needs a "new potty," which is actually true--the one we have is teeny tiny. So I guess we'll go get her a new potty and see what happens. I'm annoyed that Diaper Free B/f Three isn't at our local library, but I can prob. find it at the bookstore. I've searched...
Hi,   I've been reading all of your amazing advice and support for quite some time, but am, admittedly, a lurker. Maybe now I'm a reformed lurker?   Anyway. I'm hoping for some thoughts. My daughter is 21 months old. Over the past few days, she has started expressing fairly serious interest in using the potty, and has also developed some more of the stuff on those readiness checklists you see out there. So. I don't want to miss this window of opportunity with...
I'm 37 weeks, 3 days pregnant and have been doing Hypnobabies. I'm in the maintenance phase now. I would say to resist worrying about "doing it right." You'll be told all along that it doesn't matter how it feels; it matters that you do the scripts. Based on my experience, this is true. You just have to go with it. Follow as best you can what the program says to do. (I don't worry as much about the exercise/nutrition parts, but I try to stick as close as possible to the...
Hi, I haven't posted here before, but I can appreciate the anxiety you're feeling, so I'll chime in. I arrived at my regular doctor's appointment and told them I'd been experiencing a slight change in the type and degree of fetal movement at 35 weeks. They decided to do a non-stress test. They took me to the lower level of the clinic where there was a small room with a leather recliner for me to sit on. I did not have to wear a gown. I was asked to pull up my shirt...