or Connect

Posts by carlye828

We have limits on all video game time.  The kids, who are homeschooled and have a lot of free time everyday, get 1 hour Monday through Thursday.  After dinner on Friday, they can play whenever they want for the weekend.  This comes with a few other stipulations also, such as chores and behavior.  We also do a lot of family stuff on the weekends, which is not optional, so they get to refocus on real life.    My 12 yo ds and 9 yo dd LOVE minecraft.  I got them each a...
Hi!  So happy to have found this group!  Everyone else thinks I'm nuts when I talk about how cool a tumble weed house is, or about wanting to downgrade to a 2 bedroom with 3 kids!  The older I get, the more I realize that I don't need very much stuff.  I don't want to spend money on things that I know, from experience, are just going to go in the trash.  Paying for garbage doesn't sound wise to me.  My dream is to have a small homestead, off-grid.  Exit stage left...
I constantly fluctuate weight.  I have always kept a small wardrobe though, and it works for me.  I wear clothes until they are dirty.  A kitchen apron helps.  I have 3 pair of jeans, in 3 graduating sizes.  If I need to wear jeans and my fitting size is dirty, it's not that big of a deal to wear the size up. (or down if I'm at the top.  Suck it in, sister!)  I have a couple elastic waist skirts and house pants, and a few pairs of nice capris and shorts sized like my...
Toddler shirts and diapers were our everyday infant wear around the house.  I hate buying kids clothes, especially babies.  What a waste.  They grow out of them way too fast.  I always ended up with at least a couple outfits for each baby stage as gifts that I would use if we went somewhere, but even most of them ended up being handed down with the tags still on. 
My dd hates those also.  Little bodies seem to set those off every time they sit down.  My 3 yo would scream when she saw them and would say she didn't have to go.  I put my hand over the sensor, but what really helped was to address the reason for her dislike which is the inevitable horror of getting sucked in and flushed down the toilet!  Totally possible!  At least in the mind of a 2 to 4 year old.    I realize that not everyone, or quite likely, hardly anyone may...
My older two started out in b&m schools.  This is our 3rd year homeschooling.  The first year I did our own curriculum.  I scoured the Internet and found good deals on books, but it was still pricey.  I also have 'one of those' toddlers!  Hahaha!  It was a definite challenge to keep up with the lesson plan (HA!  There was no lesson plan!) and keep the scissors away from my 2 year old.  We had fun, but it was difficult for me to keep up with everything.  Trying to get...
Exactly!  Couldn't have said it better myself!    
I have to keep my hand over the unused breast, and boy, sometimes she really fights me!  She'll try to peel my hand away and holler at me to move my hand, it's in her way!  But I tell her to stop or we are done.  She's not as bad as she used to be.  She only tries it about 50% of the time now.
YUM!!!  Thank you!  I found some great recipes!  I can't wait to try it!      As for the coconut oil, I have never heard of it raising cholesterol.  Everything that I have read says that it is really good for you, but I have not checked on its effect on cholesterol specifically.  After I researched it, I started buying it for my dd's eczema and then started cooking with it because it is easier for me to get than organic shortening.  We don't eat GMO's.  It makes a kick...
I love real tortillas.  I make them several times a week.  Here is my basic recipe:   3 cups unbleached flour 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon of salt aprox 5 tablespoons (give or take, I don't really measure, I just kind of plop it in there in absolute quesstimation) of coconut oil in solid state 1 to 1 1/4 cups warm water   Mix dry ingredients.  Cut in coconut oil.  Mix in water starting with about 3/4 cup, mixing in more until it forms a soft...