or Connect

Posts by vaptek

Here's from our handbook. Didn't include the bit about 'please dress up for assembly days' section. Apparently our school is all liberal & stuff because we get both patterns *and* dress straps only have to be 1.5 inches wide.   Silly things, dress codes.     Dress Code In Waldorf schools special attention is accorded to creating a visually pleasing environment, recognizing that students are nourished by beauty in their surroundings. The dress code policy...
There seem to be a lot of conflicting stories about what are the "right" things to eat. Mediterranean, Real Food, & others that contradict each other. Is there an approach you particularly recommend? Thanks!
So I'm talking to my mom on the phone and she was telling me she got a preschool workbook to go through with Evie. Um really? She keeps DD twice a week and I seem to have absolutely no influence on the woman w/o direct manipulation. They watch TV, she buys her princess stuff, and now worksheets. I signed them up for gymnastics and a music class and afterwards they go to lunch together, so that pretty much sucks up most of the mornings. Then she's got nap, so that...
It really depends upon the school, from what I've seen. Some are much more mainstream than others. I'vehad a similar concern, because my family is such a group of technocrats. DD decided on her own that she wanted to start learning to read, so i've supported it in some small ways. My school doesn't seem as extreme as some of the stories i've heard here. I see kids wearing shirts with logos. When i mentioned a trip to Disney world, a teacher's response was "how fun!" When I...
I second that it is way better than YAYCFT. Its beutifully written and the well-designed layout really supports the primary content. The section on celebrations was just fantastic. I think it would be a great book even for non-Waldorf households.
We used the enamelware sets from Nova w/ DD as soon as we started solids on her. Theyve been great! We do have a chip in one of them, but it was after about a year of use. Same story, we dropped it putting it away. We use very small jelly jars from the thrift store for her glasses. (We started with shot glasses when she was about 9mo, then moved to the jars once she mastered that.) I think the clear glass makes it easier to see what she's doing, so easier to learn how to...
Hey folks! One of the thing that really appeals to me about Waldorf is not pushing academics too early. That said, I'm also not going to avoid teaching my daughter things if she's interested in learning about them. We went out to a restaurant for a huge family dinner with the extended family (great aunts, cousins, grand & great grands, that kind of thing) and at the restaurant, the kids meal menu came on a big paper that had a find-a-word on it. My 20 month old (at...
We've really enjoyed the "Morning Garden" program that our local school has. We also started when DD was 18 months old. If you're talking about the entire year, then yes, that amount is around what we spent, as well. The first session she was confused about what all was going on, but she's definitely enjoyed it since. It's very peaceful, but allows the kids to explore stuff they wouldn't get at home. It also gives you a chance to get a feel for the school and ask...
for the younger set, get one of those cat-eye stones or some other pretty rock or small object. wrap yarn around it, making a small ball of yarn. they have fun unravelling the yarn, then finding the treasure inside.
First, a caveat: I'm pretty scientifically oriented/left brained, so that is going to feed into the types of books I find appealing. There are bits to Waldorf that to my little leftie brain seem a bit wacky, but ultimately sweet or harmless. Some of the books are a little more ethereal than I'm interested in, so I've had to poke around in quite a few of them to find my favorites. My two books to recommend would be Heaven on Earth and Understanding Waldorf Education. I...