or Connect

Posts by Britishmum

I have all the books, but only ever really use the workbooks. Even after three kids, the HIGs sit in the cupboard unopened. Same goes for the textbooks. I did find that when we reached the 5th grade books we needed to supplement with something else, but really because there was nothing new or challenging in the 5th grade, just more of the same. The kids often whip through a grade in a fraction of the time that it is supposed to take, and also get bored with the same old...
I would think that there is also a market for you teaching your native language to homeschoolers. Maybe more this than E2L. We have a lot of Spanish classes in our homeschool community, but few other languages. I wish I could find a good German teacher for a homeschool class for my kids!
DS (5) can't get to sleep at night due to "My brain just keeps thinking about negative numbers". When it comes to reading, he's told me that as he's homeschooled, he really doesn't care about 'stuff like spelling' so I was to stop worrying and to stop trying to teach him! Go figure....
Can't you sell it to someone in the US on ebay?
Our preschool, which is very free and easy in most respects, has a no weapon policy. The reasoning is that although it is totally normal and healthy for kids to engage in this sort of play, other children can feel intimidated and frightened by it, so it is not friendly play for in the preschool setting. The kids learn the rule pretty quickly, although at first some of them sometimes forget, but are gently redirected and helped to adapt their play. After a while, they...
This is something I'd get checked out, rather than play around with diet etc. It is most likely fixable with diet, but it might be something more serious, and you want to rule that out first. I personally have learned not to put off going to the doctor with these sorts of problems. Get checked out first, then once they rule out something sinister, you can experiment with your diet to try to settle things down. I don't run to the doctors at every symptom, but I...
Umm, no. I couldn't imagine this going down well. As an act of its own, it certainly crosses some serious boundaries. If you want a relationship with these people, don't do it.
Bunnies must be fixed. With bucks, it stops the unsociable behavior - eg spraying and aggression. With does, it eliminates the risk of uterine cancer. A very high proportion of unfixed female rabbits die of cancer at a young age. Having said that, I pay around $50 to get bunnies fixed - there are low cost clinics in many cities that charge far less than a vet. Re vet bills, you can avoid these if you know how to care for a bunny properly. Rabbits are sensitive...
We love Horrible Histories. Also, Horrible Science, Murderous Maths, and all the other series by Uk Scholastic. They are expensive to buy individually, but you can find dealers who will sell you the whole sets far less expensively in the US.
I make eggplant lasagne. Slice then saute the eggplant in a little oil, then layer twice with tomato sauce, lasagne noodles, then alfredo sauce. Cover the dish with aluminium foil, put in the oven and bake, and it's done. Very simple. If I have time or inclination, I make the sauces, but if I"m in a hurry, I just use jars of good quality sauces, both tomato and alfredo or a white sauce of some sort. If you like cheese, you can put some on top before baking. I have...