or Connect

Posts by Britishmum

So glad your dog came back.
I would be fine with a friend correcting my child, but not with taking them out the room without me, or with telling my child to say sorry. In your friend's shoes, I would have asked your dd to stop, then if she did not, I would have fetched you and asked you to handle it. That is what I would want a friend to do for me. But then, my kids are highly sensitive and being taken to another room for a chat by another person would be hugely upsetting for them. Whenever I...
I'd just go see the principal and explain that sil bought it as a gift for your dc, and that you feel awkward but she keeps asking dc if she enjoyed it, so what is the status? Did you miss the hike, is it still planned, or what? I'd also offer to do the organizing if that helps the principal, ie contacting other families and coordinating. Principals are (usually) human too. They want the best for the kids in their care, and should want to follow up on promises, just as...
I am not sure that I'd let my kid eat it, but anyway, I couldn't because ds has serious food allergies, so it would get taken then thrown away asap. With commercial candy I can read a label, but homemade stuff is just not allowed in our house. Nice idea, but honestly, I don't think it is worth the effort.
If the point of a test is to assess what the students know, then it has to have a range of questions and you need to expect that no kids are likely to score highly. Maybe I just don't understand the US outlook on tests. I'd personally just watch and see. If the teacher is expecting to teach a high standard and is using the test results to decide what needs to be taught and to whom, that is great. If he/she discovers that none of the kids have a clue about osmosis, for...
As a kid, I hated going back to school, and every year thought how the 1st September was the worst day of my entire life. It was horrible. As for my homeschooled kids, it is so totally a non-issue that I never even think about it. They have such a great life and enjoy every day of it, so why would they be missing out by not doing the same as some other kids? Now, they did really, really look forward to yesterday, which was the first day of their drama class, which...
I could read for 8 hours, and so could my kids. No problem. Unless we have to get something done or go somewhere, I never, ever discourage them from reading. My parents constantly told me to get my nose out of a book and 'do something'. I detested those 'somethings' that they wished me to do, and bitterly resented the time I was made to do something that they felt was more valuable than reading. In fact, I still resent the fact that I was made to feel that there was...
I almost always have a bag of returns in my car for the next time I go to the store. If one of the kids needs clothes, I will buy several different styles, and try them on at home, taking back what doesn't work. I never saw it as a problem - I don't even keep my reciepts. If you have your credit card, our stores just refund back to the card, and I have never had any problem doing so. For me, it is far easier than taking 3 kids shopping, and for the store, it is the...
Quote: Originally Posted by AFWife I really appreciate this. We've also had some, uh, marital stuff going on lately that *might* play into his feeling inadequate or whatever. I don't know what to do. It probably makes me very un-MDC and will get me horribly flamed...but I don't want this to be a major source of argument with our marriage. We're already under strain because of other stuff. If we can find a sort of common ground with this then I think I...
We prepared the children by talking about how our old dog wouldn't live much longer. When we finally had him put down, we took him alone and had a friend watch the kids. They knew he was going to the vet, and that he was very sick. When we got home, we told them he'd died at the vet. The older two asked if he'd been put down, and we told them yes, that he was in pain and was most likely going to die very soon. Also that he seemed ready, and that it was peaceful. My then...