or Connect

Posts by Britishmum

Quote: Originally Posted by philomom We always turn things into the lost and found. It teaches the kids and may restore someone's faith in their fellow human. We do the same, even if it is cash and we don't think it will find its way to the original owner. I think that the lesson it teaches children is so important. I always try to model complete honesty and good character, and hope that my children internalize the message. If we did find...
Thanks for the input everyone. Seems I need to go craigslist and ebay. I'm happy to yardsale some of the stuff at 50c an item, but not brand new outfits with tags still on them and really good quality stuff. I guess the yardsale waits until I've sold all I can elsewhere.
I have a ton of baby stuff to sell. I've sold a lot of it through Craigslist, mostly the big items, diapers etc. Now I have baby clothes - a lot of stuff, different sizes, girl items, boy items, some new, some in perfect condition, some more used, but nothing with holes, tears etc. A lot of it is really nice stuff. I see on craigslist that some people bundle up a box of stuff, like 30 items in boy size 2T, then charge about $30 for the box, ie about $1 an item. Some...
Sometimes we have to look at things clearly and realize that what we want is not the same as what is, and move on. I really understand that you want your father to love you and have a relationship, but the fact is that he is not the man to do this. I think you can waste precious energy and emotion trying to create an illusion of something that is just not going to exist. I went through a similar process for years, then someone very wise showed me how to reframe the...
From what I recall when researching foods for my highly allergic child, coconut is classified as an allergen by the FDA, but actually, very very few people are allergic to it, unlike the number who are nut-allergic. I would caution you -and everyone else - though, to not trust to the fact that there are no allergies in your family when giving your child new foods. We have absolutely zero food allergies in our family, but my 15 mo old son turned out to be anaphylactic...
I'd wait it out. Feed the cat, care for the cat, and act like you love the cat. Just like you would if you didn't care for a co-worker for no fault of his or her own. In time, you may well find that your feelings change. I found I felt somewhat indifferent to my cat after I had my first baby, and kind of forgot I had her. But once my dd started following the kitty and lighting up at the sight of her, we reconnected. Now, my kids all adore my cat, and I just kind of rub...
Quote: Originally Posted by contactmaya Britishmum, i see what you are saying, but what if toddler doesnt want to be redirected? I see it as forcing toddler to do something else, because its easier. But that isnt fair on the toddler. Im not sure how you define arbitrary rule either. I guess you could ask the coffee shop owners why they put the toys there, and odds are, they were hoping kids would play with them,... that they were for public use...so...
"So you go back to the basics, 'public toys are for sharing', thats how you resolve the dilemma....." But it is clear from this discussion that random adults are not going to all agree on this 'rule', so it's not a rule. It might be for you and your kids, but it most likely won't be for others in the public place, so all it is is your arbitary judgment of a situation, not a commonly agreed 'rule'. The way I see it, you have a choice in your outlook. You can either...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn I bet when your kid is 5 and playing in a play area (maybe even the same one) and you can see she has set up an elaborate imaginative game and a lumbering toddler is about to disrupt the fairy prince in the midst of the dragon invasion...you will think back to this post and laugh. Oh how true! What we think as parents of toddlers goes right out the window once our kids reach a different developmental age...
My 9 yo and 7 yo are still in boosters in dh's car, and in Britax 5pt harnesses in my car. We've had a few issues with friends teasing them, but 9yo dd dealt with it by looking the kids in the eye and saying "So?" in a tone which meant "And your problem is what exactly?" The teasing stopped, and my kids just accept going in their seats. In this state, it is illegal for them not to be in boosters at their height, but very few of their friends' parents seem to bother.