or Connect

Posts by Britishmum

Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 I don't think it's the expectation that older kids should "entertain" babies, but the expectation that a group of kids should be left alone in a public space with public toys at the APPROACH of a toddler. The 21 month old hadn't even touched the pirate ship when the other kid took it away and declared that they wanted to play alone. I understand older kids not wanting a baby to come in and crash their set up,...
Quote: Originally Posted by slylives What on earth are you talking about? Did you even read my posts? My child had not even touched the pirate ship before this child pushed it away from her. I was sitting less than 3 feet away during this entire interaction - and I have already stated that I would (and did) intervene if necessary. Do you actually think that pointing out that my child can play along side means that I was "insisting that she ruin their...
I have to say that I don't bother to reply to most of them. I have responded a little snippily in the past though to ones that really get to me. The people that really really bug me are the ones who demand exact details like colors, fabrics etc of things that I'm giving away for free. A classic was someone who told me she'd 'take some stuff off my hands if it was in good condition'. Like she was doing me an enormous favour. I ignored her. Amazing.....
I would try to understand how it feels to be the mother of a child with special needs, and really work hard to share her joy, pride, relief, or whatever other emotion she must feel about each accomplishment of her child. If your child has not faced the same challenges as her's, you have not walked her walk, and you most likely cannot understand the emotional challenges that she has faced. Try to have empathy for her, and share her joy and relief, rather than dismiss...
We were in a parking lot one day when a lady came and knocked on my window. She was holding up a lovely little red scooter. She said she'd noticed the age of my kids as we got in the car, and wondered if they'd like the scooter. They were looking for a home for it. The kids were thrilled, and I was totally stunned, as it was brand new. We still have it - it's been through three kids. I just wish I'd had enough of my wits about me to really thank her. It was so sweet!
4 yo with beautiful long curls here. He gets called a girl, even if he's wearing totally 'boy' clothing. He doesn't care. But his dad has long hair too, and whenever ds asks why people call him a girl, we talk about it and how he chooses not to cut his curls, just like his daddy. It always makes me wonder, as we can be out with two older dds, both with long curls but clearly in girl clothing, and ds, also with curls, but in boy clothing, yet a lot of people still...
I'd swallow it and go. If you don't, you'll never be able to undo it. And no matter what, you'll look like the trouble maker to others. Nobody will know or want to know who said what, they will just remember that you didn't show up for your sister's wedding, and that will influence your relationships with other family members. It will be a pain - all that travelling, organizing, and money. But it will keep the door open for a future relationship. It sounds to me as if...
I just think this is part of life. Other people are not going to always share your outlook and values, and honestly, those who allow their kids candy are no more wrong than you are right. I can't really identify with the feeling of anger at someone who is applying their own outlook on life to your situation, and trying to do something nice. You might not like it, but 99% of parents would have been fine with it. And even though I am not particularly keen on my kids...
I have to say that once I had kids, my horse days were pretty much done. I handed over care and competing of my horse to a younger single girl. My kids, however, did love going to watch them compete until my horse retired, and now we just visit the barn, feed carrots to our favorite horses, and give my horse apples and hugs. But I am always supervising them very, very closely, particularly the younger ones. Last week we spent ages watching the blacksmith (4 yo ds was...
I was so envious of my friend and family in the UK when I gave birth in the US. I had to pay someone a small fortune to come and help me with breastfeeding, in spite of all the $$s we spend on health insurance. My friends in the UK get home visits from their midwives and health visitors just as standard. The support levels there for new mothers is amazing compared to here. It just depends how it is presented and what you are used to. I get so ::hen I hear all those...