or Connect

Posts by Britishmum

I would dose the rest of the family on high levels of vit C, to bowel tolerance, make sure that you eat a great diet, and relax. I most certainly wouldn't give my children Tamiflu, nor would I take it myself. Two of my kids had swine flu a few weeks ago. It was nothing major. Yes, they were poorly, but recovered faster than the ped told me they would if they took Tamiflu, just by taking Vit C in smoothies, no pain meds, and resting. Ds was back on his feet and bouncing...
Hi Mamas I am writing an article for preschool teachers, day care workers and childminders about the importance of successful inclusion of special needs children. I want to lighten up the boring stuff (regulations, recommendations, etc) with some really human insights into what makes a parent of a special needs child feel trusting and confident about the adults that help care for her child. I really want to inspire the trainee childworkers and help them to see inclusion...
My kids have one pair of sneakers, one pair of crocs, each. I have 4 pairs: 1 pair clogs 1 pair black shoes for going out 1 pair canvas flats my wedding shoes (can't throw them out, just too sentimental) used to have a pair of sneakers, but they died I have just ordered a pair of Keen sandals with a gift card I was given. I'm very excited, having read the reviews. I would never in a million years spend that money on myself, so it was ultra cool to get them as...
I'm just wondering where my kids fit into all this. They have never worn a pair of khakis in their lives, nor a button-down shirt. They wear the same clothes to church that they wear any other day of the week. Today they sat at the kitchen table and did their math wearing their usual outfits of tie-dyed shorts and t shirts. I have to say that their math questions were all answered correctly, and they behaved respectfully to all concerned during the lesson. Seriously,...
I've never understood this thing about going out to buy new clothes for 'back to school.' We homeschool, but my kids don't suddenly need a bunch of new clothes for 20th August. They will wear the same as they wore the week before. Nobody at their homeschool groups will notice or care what they wore last June,and I can't imagine any homeschool parents going out to buy 'back to homeschool' clothing. Or do you have to put your kids in certain school clothing, meaning that you...
Dd learned not to read when walking down the street when she walked really hard into a parking meter. Other than that, it's open house on reading here. For all of us. The only time we don't read is if we have guests for dinner. Or if it's a special family meal. I have some cute photos of the kids at the table with books propped up. I don't think they even notice what they are eating most days. But I can't complain, as I am exactly the same. A friend recently...
I have to say that I don't agree that you should not be concerned, and I don't think you can stop yourself worrying. But you can take action, which will help you on this path. It is impossible to say whether your ds has special needs, or whether he will go to school, or what. I was in your place 5 years ago, and now my child is a very happy, homeschooled, high achieving, somewhat introverted but often goofy 8 year old kid. It took a lot of reading and research on...
Quote: Originally Posted by Karenwith4 I've not encountered a scenario where the majority of women are "do what they are told" types. As the outreach coordinator of our homeschool group for the last 4 years though, I have enountered a number of situations where the husbands initially say no simply based on not having enough information or time to think about it but fairly quickly come around to understanding their partner's position. That is...
Quote: Originally Posted by Anglyn But thats kind of my point. Even here, the mom is often allowed to try on a trail basiss and only got to continue becuase he changed his mind. I don't see it like that at all. In my case, we agreed to try it for a year. After a year, we reassessed. By then, dh was 100% on board with homeschooling. I was most certainly not 'allowed' to try on a trial basis. We decided to give it a trial period. And I did not...
I don't do any of those things either. And I can't see myself ever doing them. And the thought of myself ever writing those abbreviations - ugh. I am turned off immediately by people whose emails contain abbreviations, and often just delete them due to my irritation. Ugh ugh ugh. On messageboards, I skip posts the moment I see a '4' or an 'r' or a 'u'. I have a cellphone, but only a very few people have the number. I have it for emergencies, and quite honestly, if I"m...