or Connect

Posts by Britishmum

That's interesting. My experience has been very different. I know many homeschoolers, like myself, whose dp's were very wary of homeschooling at first, but the mother won the day. I know many who said they'd take it year by year, and after a year or so, dad was sold on homeschooling, and they never looked back. That was certainly the case in our home, and I know of many others who had the same experience. It will be interesting to read here what others have experienced.
Yep, that's reason #1001 why I'm glad that my ds is going to be homeschooled. If he went to K, I'd expect a phone call within a week asking for permission to get him assessed. I'm so certain, I'd take bets on it. Instead, he'll put all his energy and brainpower into experiments and playing and climbing and engineering and gadgets and inventions and all his other passions ---------at home.
I"m pondering here on the realities for care providers, and the expectations of parents. I can see both sides. But as a parent of two biters myself, I'm wondering how reasonable it is to expect someone with a ratio of maybe one to seven, to prevent biting. My little biters (at home) bit each other most days for a while. Often they bit the third, non-biting, child too. Teeth marks were part of the territory here for several months, and it still resurfaces as a problem...
I think it's weird, and even more so when saying instead of gifts. It's like you are saying not to bother about giving my mom a gift, just help me out with hosting the party. I think that's somewhat rude. If I were invited, I'd feel obliged to bring a significant amount of drinks - more than dh and I would ever drink, and I'd want to buy a gift, so I"d bring that anyway. I do think that however you word it, byob is rather cheap once you are out of college. I can't...
I do use a math curriculum, just because I found that once I had two kids homeschooling, I lacked the time to create games etc myself. I wish I didn't use the curriculum, but it saved my sanity. As for the rest of it, we play, and we read. Reading is a huge part of our lives. We read books that interest us, and when we find something grabs us, we follow our interest. For example, we read a history book about Jackie Robinson. I then found a book called The Year of the...
Oooh, while I'd love the extra space that would be created if I didn't have bookcases of books, I'd hate to ever part with them. Books make my house seem like home. I can't imagine a home without books....tons of 'em. My books aren't clutter, they are friends. (But well-selected friends - no trash!) But if it works for you, that's great. Enjoy your new-found space.
I see this as part of the scare tactic. Like the "The government should not come between me and my doctor" line that the conservatives are taking, to scare people about a public health service. I am as anti-vacc as can be, but don't believe that this is a case of sending the vacc squad out for those who do not want vaccinations. Looking at it from the pov of the bill being drafted by those who genuinely believe that vaccs are life-saving and should be available to...
I don't think that the amount people did or didn't tip is the real issue here. I'd be very upset if a friend ever wrote a comment like that about me. I'd say you have some real apologizing to do there, without even mentioning the rights and wrongs of the amount they were tipping. Did she take the slip to prevent it from reaching the waitress? If so, maybe she didn't even think about the waitress getting the money, but was more concerned about getting rid of that note...
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 I am thinking about how crabby I'd feel if DH tried to give me an allowance instead of sharing all of our resources. We discuss our purchases and decide together what and how much and when to buy. DD already has a small part in this conversation (e.g., she helps choose food at the grocery store). I sort of feel like giving her own separate money rather than allowing her to have a voice in the same way the other...
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 My 3-year-old DD is a fluent reader and writes a bit, and she definitely also pretends to write sometimes. I'm not trying to downplay other kids' abilities or interests; I'm just saying that kids like to play around with the things that interest them. It doesn't all have to be serious. I don't have any problem with any of this. I'm not advocating telling a kid to pretend when she doesn't want to or...