or Connect

Posts by Britishmum

Quote: Originally Posted by Roar To be clear, I am not suggesting you caused perfectionism. I believe these traits are largely innate. Instead I'm saying that knowing the child has this innate trait how will we help them learn to manage it. How will we help them develop healthy views of what is appropriate to expect from themselves and from other people. I don't believe engaging in teaching spelling to a crying child is accomplishing anything. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Roar Anytime you have a battle of wills it is time to to stop and reassess what role you are playing in that process. If your children are "enraged" if you choose to set a limit of not wanting to participate in an activity where someone cries and carries on it is time I think to reassess what messages they are getting about how much respect you have for yourself. I believe if you participate in this spelling to crying process...
Quote: Originally Posted by Roar I have parented a child like this and in our case I found putting emphasis on words like right, wrong and mistake wasn't helpful. I never corrected spelling or math or talked about him getting the right or wrong answer. Given the amount of perfectionism that was simply inherent it didn't help to fuel that by this sort of emphasis. I would move on if a three year old wanted to engage me in whether or not words were spelled...
Quote: Originally Posted by no5no5 Well, I totally disagree with this. There are conventional ways of spelling, unconventional ways of spelling, American English, British English, foreign language, phonetic, etc. Yes, most words have one "right" and one "wrong" spelling in standard American English, but I totally don't buy that there is some kind of essential right & wrong in spelling that kids understand without being told. What is the purpose of...
I understood what you were saying perfectly well. My dds were very similar at that age. The trouble with spelling is that there is a correct way, and some kids just know it. Mine did at the age of two, and there was no way they'd accept "that's your way of spelling it." They felt patronized if someone treated them like that. They knew full well that there is only one correct way to spell, or to do a math computation, and wanted to know it. If they'd made a mistake, they...
When I was a teacher I took photos all the time. Every single day, in fact. I used them in all sorts of ways. Books, displays, activities, cards. It enriches the kids' experience, and I did it even though it cost me a fortune back then for processing films and printing pictures. My ds's preschool have photos all the time too. It's a co-op, and most parents have cameras there at some point. I love it. We have files for each child, and if someone has a good pic of a...
Our pool does adult swim for 15 mins every hour. I love it. It's a great way for me to schedule our swim time. My kids refer to it as 'how many swims are we staying for?' Even if we're staying for several hours, I like it that the kids have to all get out at the same time, get sunscreened, use the bathroom, get a drink of water, etc. Now, my dream is of the day that I can take advantage of that adult swim time and get 15 mins exercise myself...... but the day that I...
Is this stuff for just your kid, or for the entire class? Wow, we were spoiled in the UK. The schools supplied all this stuff. I"m amazed that people here are saying they spend $50 per child. I homeschool so I need all this kind of stuff, but don't spend anywhere near $150 for my three kids. I reckon I spend maybe $70-80, total, and end up with a lot left over. In fact, I donated a ton of watercolors, crayons etc to a back to school collection last year, because I'd so...
Dds read to 4 at ages 6 & 8, but didn't cope well with the ending. It's the first one where a 'good' character that they identify with dies. We took a break, for about 6 months, and now they want to read on, knowing that there will be more deaths. They were never scared by the darkness, and love all the dementor stuff etc. It's the death of students that they couldn't handle. I think it depends upon your child. OTOH, they like movies 1 & 3 but found 2 too...
Dh is the master car buyer. Honestly, he gets asked to go with people all the time to help them do deals on new cars. He just traded ours two weeks ago for a new car. He does his research (tons of it), knows how the dealers work, and works them all for the best deal. He went from one to another and back again, had several on the phone, knew the exact inventory at each dealership, knew who was going out of business that weekend, etc etc etc. He knew every incentive being...