or Connect

Posts by YoursMine&Ours

So my oldest started high school level work this year. We use Switched on Schoolhouse, unit studies, and the Robinson Curriculum. How do homeschoolers get a high school diploma, or is this possible? Do we simply have him take a GED test for graduation? Are there sites out there that offer an accredited hs diploma for all the work he has done and will be doing over the next 3.5 years? We just began with homeschooling a year ago, so we're still treading the waters. ...
We have been doing an eclectic style of homeschooling, using mainly unit studies. We joined www.homeschoollearning.com last year, and really like the way it's set up. They also have a 3 day free trail so you can "try before you buy." However, the fee is only $15.95/month and it covers all grades K-12. You can either follow their 36 week curriculum by grade level, do unit studies, or whatever you want to, really. There are tons of resources, worksheets, and other...
I'm so thrilled! Alex's hearing is PERFECT!!!!!!! YAY! He was hearing things that I couldn't even hear (I guess I need to get my hearing tested, too). But here's even better news.....The audiologist said that she's been in business for almost 20 years (pediatric only) and that every child she has tested, that was diagnosed with even the mildest of autism, would not sit still long enough to perform the test. Alex was a real champ! He sat still through the...
Positive thoughts and prayers needed, Mamas! We're traveling out of town today to go to the audiology lab and test Alex's hearing. Please keep us in your prayers that everything will be just fine. Thanks, Mamas! Blessings, Angela
Quote: Originally Posted by thoesly I just wanted to suggest that you head over to the Special Needs forum for some browsing. There are a lot of us over there with children on the spectrum. Oh thank you so very much! I'll post over there as soon as I get all of the little ones off to bed. Blessings, Angela
It's so wonderful to know that there are people out there who are kind enough to send a hug our way! So here's one right back at you, Mama..from all of us to you! Blessings, Angela
They're saying that Alex may have mild to moderate Autism?!? I'm taking all of this with a grain of salt, though (and a few ibuprofin). I was completely devistated after talking to the psychologist. He says that Alex has Autistic tendencies. An example of this would be the way he lines up his toys and gets upset when that line is broken. Or the way he plays mainly by himself and doesn't listen unless you're talking with him eye to eye. To me, though, it sounds...
I've read all of your responses and wanted to thank you for "chiming in." We have an appointment with the child psychologist today who's going to evaluate his receptivness to speech, along with some other things. The hearing test isn't until the 19th of August. IMHO, I really think it very well could be the dominant twin/sibling affect. Kaleb talks over him or distracts him in some way just about everytime Alex opens his mouth. Alex does babble a great deal,...
When I was in Peds rotations in my first year of nursing school, we read 14 different books on cognitive developement between birth and age 18. What I found to spark my interest was how greatly gender, environment, and even the hair color and eye color *so called* influenced a child's language. For example, girls develop language skills earlier than boys between ages 1-3. Between ages 4-8, boys tend to take the cognitive lead. Then those (any gender) who are...
I am extremely concerned only because we still have to rule out the hearing deficit and receptive communication part of it. I know he's not deaf just because he turns his head when I call his name, but there are also different variations of deafness, involving tones *I think* I have a soft, but high voice and he responds to me, but DH has a low, deep voice to which he does not respond. Hmmm? Selective hearing? lol My other three boys all talked early and (like you...