or Connect

Posts by loveneverfails

My colicky two month old got his immunizations on Monday. Since then, no real crying or colicky episodes. Therefore immunization cures colic. Woo hoo!
Not an UCer but a mom of big babies. ACOG literature doesn't support c-section for big babies until over 11 lbs for non diabetic moms. Is there something in particular about UC that you are seeking or do you just want to not feel like you are fighting for a vaginal birth? Declining a c/s seems very reasonable, and your doctors ought to respect that. Shoulder dystocia is a true emergency and an unskilled practitioner will take longer to resolve it, and may accidentally...
I had two in hospital, three at home, two more back at the hospital. I really prefer birth with anesthesia. There are more of us out here than you might think!
Just wanted to update that my baby is here, birth went great, and the epidural was enormously helpful. I had the definition of good care with shared decision making, and it was very empowering to me. We went home after 24 hours and while of course some people we clicked better with than others, we did not have a single care provider I would describe as disrespectful or unkind in any way. I don't think we even had someone who was having a bad day.
No problem, Cyclamen. I had two hospital births with the standard menu of interventions and they were just not what I wanted or felt respected with, then three home births with my final home birth involving a very traumatic very fast labor and birth followed by a 10 day NICU stay for my little girl. It has taken a few years to see how the care we got at home lead to the medical complications our daughter encountered. Because of my birth history, I associate pain in...
Yup! I'm having an epidural and a planned induction (next week!) after having had 3 home births. My last birth was a planned induction with epidural and it was the best, most compassionate, most empowering choice I've made in birth.
Hey!     I'm currently expecting and giving birth at Bellevue in January.  I have had a home birth in the Capital District several years ago and it was not a good or particularly safe experience, but the birth that I had at Bellevue  about 18 months ago was actually really really nice.     What I did was to go not with an OB or a midwife practice but to go with a family practitioner who does obstetrics.  So, it had the option of medical intervention when needed...
By the way, I played around with the numbers on the Zero Apgar study using some figures I found in a study of CNM assisted home birth.  This study was useful to me because it showed the difference between the "actual home birth" rate of poor outcome (death in this case) and the "intend to treat" rate of poor outcome.  In that study, the intrapartum and neonatal transfer rates that would show up in the death rates were 9.4% combined, and that 9.4% accounted for 28% of the...
I disagree that the Farm study is convincing proof of home birth safety.  I'm looking at the full text, and it's citing a roughly 1% (10 per 1 thousand) death rate including preemies, respiratory distress, abruption, but also a case of suspected child abuse etc, 17 deaths in 1707 women.  I have no idea why they wrote the study the way they did.  It seems really oddly done, far less professional than the BMJ 2005, the Canadian studies, the Birthplace study.  The best...
But I did not say that I do not support home birth, even though I am neither an appropriate home birth candidate nor would I personally choose it for my births at this point.  I do support it, but it's not blanket support in the US the way I give blanket support to the home birth cultures in Canada and the UK.  Home birth isn't a monolithic thing where you either support all the home birth or none of it, and how safe it's practice is varies from location to location....