or Connect

Posts by NCHIN

Hi, I live fairly close to you so I know what type of weather you get. I so wish I had your problem. Empty Beds? I, on the other hand am looking for more space. I would say no to the corn. Takes too much space and too many problems with worms. I would go for the beans. My family LOVES beans. I am always growing extra to freeze but it never makes it into the freezer. I have a planter that is 30' x 3' and I plant 1 row of pole beans and 2 rows of bush...
Hi, I think this is where I heard about Earthboxes a few years ago. I kept telling myself that it is quite expensive for a container. The experimental person that I am, I took the plunge and purchased 3 last February. I purchased the boxes only because I live on the other coast and I felt the shipping would be a bit much. I figured I could buy them here. Well, it was a challenge to find everything. If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased the ready...
I would say POLE too. I have done both and I am usually squeezing so much into my garden that I could use all the help I can get and vertical is good. In my experience, you get a longer season with pole beans too. Easier to pick. Picking bush beans kills my back. Nancy
Go to the library or bookstore and check out Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew Good Luck
Quote: Originally Posted by FarmerCathy , I didn't realize that you lived so close radish, were here close to Sac. We would love to find a place up by Placerville. My hubby works in Folsom. What is weed block and Mel mix? Is it organic? I'm learning something new here. Sounds like a lot of us are getting our gardens ready. Yeah! Here is how far I've gotten. Not very far. I do as much as the little guy will let me. I found foxtails in my...
Quote: Originally Posted by radish Hey mamas! X-posting in SFG too. I am just getting ready to start planting and would love any feedback. Here are 2 flickr pix with details that I am planning. PLEASE tell me if anything looks wrong! LOL Aerial View - Sun, layout, etc http://www.flickr.com/photos/reginal...n/photostream/ Side view. I REALLY want to use the space in the foreground. It is clay and rocky and weedy. What is the cheapest/easiest...
Quote: Originally Posted by lmonter Hmmm... I haven't heard stellar things about Henry Field's, so I tossed that catalog. If we have room, I may just get canes from Simmons Plant Farm with my asparagus and blueberries this year... Decent prices as far as I can tell, and I have yet to hear a bad word about 'em. Decisions, decisions. Hi, Last year was the first time I purchased from Henry Field's. I looked at the ratings after I purchased. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by lmonter Where are you getting your Jewel raspberries? Apparently that's the black raspberry variety that a u-pick farm an hour away from me grows, and hubby went nuts over the jam I made from those berries (that were out for blood, IMO). Still not sure whether we'll have enough room/time for raspberries this year or not... Imonter, I am sorry I did not respond earlier. I got very ill and have not been on much...
This website is very informative. http://www.davewilson.com/ It will give descriptions of the trees and if they will need to be pollinated. I go there and dream quite often. They also will tell you where to purchase their trees. I have found them to be a great supplier. I purchase all of my bareroots from them and I think Durling's and Four Wind's for my Citrus. I am not sure where you are located but it is too late for bareroots here. Nancy
I would take it back to the nursery and ask what it is. If it is a problem they should happily exchange it for you. What size container is the Fig in? Is it a bareroot? Or has it been planted for awhile? When you pull it out of the container do you see root hairs and does it come out in one piece? Or is the soil loose? If it is loose, most likely a bareroot and then you could replace the soil. Otherwise, I would not touch it. You are bound to disturb the...