or Connect

Posts by LovelyNJ

Thanks so much! I feel like I understand my 7 year old's learning style much better now.
I nursed both of my boys for 2 yrs. btw, and two years later it still makes me smile when I look at those bags to think the fomula companies lost money on me.
I like the free stuff from the companies! I threw away the formula, but the bags were nice. I got some coupons (free haircut!), magazines, and ice packs.  Not sure what the big deal is. Lots of stuff is cheap or free but unhealthy (McDonalds, plastic crap, dollar store bath products...). Parenting requires adults to make choices. Keep the free stuff coming and I'll take whats good and leave the rest!    
   My boys are 7 and 4. They can play anywhere that I can see them out the window to check on them. We are lucky to have a small patch of woods in the back, and a bike path with some trees in the front. My oldest walks to the bus stop by himself, which is a 5min. walk but I can see it from my house. We also have a large park nearby with several playgrounds, and they feel free to roam around with friends there while I talk to other moms, sew, read etc. If I had another...
"providing ways to learn with Curious George on PBS, on their educational website, or by printing their family activity booklet that is packed full of screen-free ideas."    How about the screen free idea of not watching tv...the idea is not even radical anymore. I think the only ones who stuck around after Mothering stopped publishing were the ones who really believed in natural parenting. However, as this type of lifestyle has become more common, people are turning...
I think of preschool as more of a fun activity than actual school. You can still homeschool while your child is at home, which is what we do in addtion to preschool. For us, the kids need preschool or another activity since we have no family or close friends nearby, and my husband works long hours. I think preschool gives us a sense of belonging in our community and I take a yoga class, go to the dr., run errands etc.    My older son went to a co-op and that is where...
We buy the cheapest "all-natural" foods. I shop at Pathmark, with coupons or buy store brand. Its hard feeding/getting the necessities for my 3 guys and myself for $100 a week!    I get very basic, plain things. Beans, brown rice, pb, ww bread and pasta. Lots of frozen, good deal, or on clearance fruits and veg. Family size chicken breasts on sale, 2 1/2 doz. eggs, 2 gallons of milk, oatmeal, yogurt. Basic stuff. I scrub/peel fruits and veg and never buy anything...
You are his parent and you need to stay strong, especially since your single or it will only get worse. Obviously physically or mentally abusing a child is wrong, but it doesn't sound like thats what your doing at all.    The only thing that I would have done differently is told him that unless he unlocked the door, these were going to be the consequences for his actions. Calmly saying something like "I love you, and you need to be respectful of us and open the door or...
Your doing great! We do pretty much the same things. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old who goes to K for 3 hours a day. For us, the biggest challange is social both for me and the kids. Its tough because we cant really afford activities without a 2nd income. Maybe add in a playdate once a week and going out on "field trips" if you dont do that already. We try to go out to places like farms, zoo, gardens, historical places, museums. Anywhere you havent...
I thought I would hate my son going to public school, and I was sad I couldn't afford Waldorf. He went to a coop preschool and we do natural toys, lots of outdoors, no TV etc. We're a creative family and I didn't think he would do well with all those mainstream kids and forced learning etc. However, he is in a regular half day Kindergarten in the afternoon and loves it. His teacher is really nice and loves the kids. Once a month we have a special party and bring...