or Connect

Posts by llwr

Thanks,   My issue with the bread, I think, is that it seems to give her no reason to try anything else -- even things that are pretty easy to like.  So when I do serve bread, I don't limit it.  But I often don't put it on the table for that reason.  I could be wrong here, but that's my reasoning.  I definitely have trouble trusting on this one.   We did unlimited candy for a couple days after Halloween, then one piece a day anytime after lunch.  I think maybe I like...
I've been reading some of Ellyn Satter's books and I know she thinks never having (forbidding) certain foods only makes us want them more and fosters an unhealthy attitude towards food.  I'm wondering what you think of this, and if you believe it, how you manage the delicate balance of limiting them.    I like to make my desserts healthy.  The cookie thread actually reminded me of this.  I also find myself limiting bread a lot in our house; not because I think it's all...
It seems that only I eat my homemade sweets.  DH still buys what he wants at the store.  Worth another try though, and at least it'd be healthy for me!
Excited to try some of these.
Blanca,  Looks like your LO came already.  I hope it went well.   I wanted to add that Emily Nieman is returning and she is great as well.  I've only met her a couple of times, but I was so excited that she asked at an annual if I was still nursing my 3yo.  It's the only time I've ever been able to answer no!   She asked like it was a totally normal thing to be doing, and she didn't even have my file or know me well enough to assume that I ever breastfed at all.  It was...
I'm looking forward to reading more of this thread.   I try hard to avoid punishment.  I just don't feel like it's that effective for what I want to teach.  What I really want is to reach their heart and teach them integrity and how to treat people.  I fear that punishment endangers my ability to reach their heart and teaches them not to get caught, even though it may stop the behavior in question.   Sometimes I'm tempted because it seems so much easier; sometimes I do...
Could you bring it up over the issue of comfort?  I had a snugli and boy did it hurt!  I don't know if risk of hip dysplasia would be an issue as much as the idea that she just wouldn't do it.  I only wore DD1 for a short morning walk from about 3-6 months; when DD2 was about 3 months I got an ergo because I really needed to wear her a lot and at only 11 lbs, it just hurt too much.  I really wish I had good carriers from the start.   Can you afford to gift her something...
Ugh...  I hate this kind of stuff.    I'm more here to get advice than to give it.   We've done something like the example below -- something fun when it's finished and if we run out of time -- too bad.   Sometimes I just do it myself and then it gets put out of reach.   "No towels in the bathroom!  That sure stinks!"   How to get respect has really been on my mind lately.  It's not something we can demand.  At least not real respect.  I want compliance, but I...
Very neat idea about a fold-down desk.  I'll be thinking about that one.    My kids are 7 and 4.  Also 6 months -- she doesn't need anything for a long time, but something that she could grow into as well would be great.   Wow.. I can't believe I didn't just think google....   Great ideas.
We use them.  I have a fast flow and lots of milk and sometimes mine just want to suck but don't want to eat.  My 2nd never took one, but my first and third have shown definite preferences -- sometimes they want to nurse, sometimes they want a paci.  I see them as age-appropriate for babies.  It's something that gives her a lot of comfort.  I think even mainstream parents have pretty strong views about them sometimes.