or Connect

Posts by llwr

Having 2 that both needed/wanted me was the hardest adjustment I had to having 2.  Suddenly time with my first was special instead of just all the time.  And mine are about a year further apart then yours.   You can try setting your older one up with special toys/books etc that only come out when nursing the baby.  Make sure she gets some special time when the baby is down, to hopefully minimize neediness when you attend to baby.  Honestly, mine watched too much tv...
Thanks for the replies.  We haven't talked about preferences yet.  I have a couple more weeks before it's relevent and wanted to research myself a bit first.    I was expecting to test 4x/day; but if my levels were fine, I thought maybe a week would be enough.   My midwives are pretty laid back.  I had considered not taking the screen the last pregnancy, since it was fine my 1st pregnancy and the only risk factor I had was age (and I was only 30).  We didn't talk...
I'd like to do my 24-28 week sugar testing with a meter rather than the typical 1 hr glucose screen.  Is there any reason not to do this?  I failed the 1 hr screen in my previous pregnancy (3 hr GTT was ok) and found it to be rather stressful.  If this works just as well, I find it preferable.  Not to mention I'd be testing with food that I actually eat.    The second part is how to pay for all the equipment.  Test strips are expensive, while the standard screen and...
I was looking to take ordinary bread recipes and adapt them to no-knead.    I know they use more liquid, but I was hoping for something a little more concrete than that.
Day-care type preschool (goddard, for example) is much more expensive than church preschool.  I paid $130/mo last year for 2.5 hrs a day, 3 days a week.  This was the cheapest (by only a little) in my area, but we were very happy with it.  Schools around here frequently have a preschool program with about half mainstream, half special needs.  It's another place to check.  I don't think preschool is a necessity.  We did it one year and DD loved it.  We might put DD2 in...
Mine weaned right around her 3rd birthday.  I encouraged it.  She responded well to "little bit".  A couple of sucks was enough to satisfy.  Also, my supply was very low at that point, and she didn't see a point in sucking if she didn't get anything.  The biggest thing was dropping her nap (the last main nursing session).  Obviously you can't drop bedtime, but maybe there are other things you could change.  It may be possible for you to all be more or less content with a...
Got out my newborn and small proraps and realized the elastic was shot.   Velcro and PUL are still good though.  I'd like to repair them.  I have some fold over elastic, but I'm not sure it's heavy-duty enough.  My other idea is just to pull out the bad stuff and resew with regular elastic on the outside.  How would you go about replacing elastic?
Has anyone tried this?   I'm a big fan of the artisan bread in 5-min a day method.  It's so incredibly easy and fast.  But I also have lots of other really good looking recipes that I would like to try, but don't because of the difference in prep time.
Spaghetti squash?  I found it an acceptable substitute.
I would apply for wic.   Staples like dry beans, peanut butter, bananas, potatoes, and eggs are usually pretty cheap.   I generally find that artificial type foods are more expensive.  Instead of cheap chicken nuggets, I would try for a whole chicken (99c/lb here) or leg quarters (78C/lb).  Plus you can boil the bones for a delicious stock.   Save your vegetable peelings for stock.   I know corn isn't so popular, but if you get a good price on cornmeal, a...