or Connect

Posts by llwr

I was extremely shy as a child, an old-enough child that it was perceived as rude.  I would whisper in school, and barely communicate with the extended relatives that I saw twice a year.  Adults don't like that.  I got in trouble in grade school for being too quiet.  Even in college, I realized that teachers perceived me differently.  I was fairly comfortable with myself by then, but I was happy just to listen.  Turns out they were surprised when I turned in good...
I'm looking for something suitable for newborns and also quick and easy to get in and out.  Baby is due early August, so something cooler is also a plus.  My DDs will be 6 and close to 4 when the baby comes.   We're going to be doing 3 in the backseat  for a while (though DD1 will be at school by late Aug, and I shouldn't need to take them all out at once by myself for a while).  We're considering a convertible seat rather than a bucket for the baby.  If we go with that,...
Found out with my first, because I wanted to know what kind of clothes to buy.  I really appreciate garage sale and clearance finds, and that's easier when you can do it ahead of time.  DD had tons of nice clothes, most for 25c each.  Still went gender neutral with all of the big stuff.   Wanted to find out with my 2nd, but she didn't cooperate.  DH got to see first and say what it was.    I still don't know which is better!  I love the idea of a surprise, but I...
I don't have experience with Ivory, but I've heard it leaves awful residue on the shower, so I would probably try something different.    The key for me to knowing they were stripped effectively was that they didn't smell when peed on.  Even a toddler overnight.  There was a huge difference.
I've heard that osage oranges, also called hedgeapples, repel spiders.  I don't know if it works, or where to find them, though!  Here in the midwest, they grow along the roadsides once in a while.
The only stripping that worked for me was boiling clean diapers, then lots of rinses in the washer.  I tried to keep them as hot as possible while I boiled another batch to add to the washer.    You didn't mention what kind of diapers you have.  Boiling really isn't recommended for anything with elastic or PUL.  But it was great for my prefolds.   It was miraculous.  Even overnight diapers on a toddler didn't smell.  Rashes gone.  I did really have to keep an eye...
Thanks so much.  I never would have happened across this if I hadn't seen it here.  It really irks me that this info isn't in my manuals.
I'm so confused.  I've never heard about latch limits before.  I haven't seen these warnings either in my carseat or vehicle manuals.  We have an 05 corolla.  It looks like something changed in cars made after Sept 05 to accomate heavier limits.  Is this true?   From what I can tell, Toyota defers to the carseat manufacturer.  We have an Evenflo Triumph Advance with a weight limit of 50.   DD is probably pushing 45 now.  Do I need to redo this with the seatbelt?  They're...
We have some birch from a tree that died that was kind of special.  I don't know what was wrong with the tree.  I'd like to use the wood to make some crafts.  Do I need to treat it somehow?  I can't find any noticible bugs.  I think it's pretty dry.  It's been hanging around outside for over a year. 
Well, turns out that my DD who wasn't interested in trading was very excited to donate most of it.  How sweet...  I'm very proud of her.  Since DD2 decided at the last minute she didn't want to get dressed or go, that left us with just enough candy for one more day of binging.   I've been secretly hoping they'd get sick enough to lose a taste for it too!  It hasn't happened yet.   Halloween is important to DH.  Since he goes along with so many of my crunchy ideas, I'm...