or Connect

Posts by mormontreehugger

Hmmm... I like the idea of coconut milk!  I'm looking into primal foods right now too.  But making yogurt seems to be my best cost-effective option at the moment.  So how do I make yogurt....
I remember seeing this once somewhere, but I can't find it now. DS is close to weaning, and I want to have some sort of milk in the house for him.  I can get raw, but it's terribly expensive here. So I was wondering out of the following, what's best-worst?(it's in the order that I THINK is best to worst, but I need some help here)   raw whole milk pastuerized non-homogenized whole milk regular whole milk   and where do these fit in, if they do? Say I can't...
I try hard to find modern fiction (actually written for ADULTS) that doesn't veer off to a detailed bedroom scene every other chapter, or describes depraved criminal activity in gory detail.  I'm also not a big fan of excessive swearing/profanity.  If there's anyone else who cares about these things and wants to read books that aren't all about Amish love stories or from the YA section, join my club!   I read a lot of classics over and over because I know they're...
I like the ideas here, and I can't wait for DS to be old enough to participate in them more.  Any ideas for husbands who can't think of anything else to do at the end of the day when it's too cold/dark/rainy to play outside with the baby?  Something the family can do together (family = two adults and an 18 mo).  Right now we mostly chase DS away from dangerous stuff and try to get him to eat healthy food and then put him to bed in the evenings.  After that we're too...
We're not sure where we'll end up.  California for now, but DH wants to settle somewhere where he can get to his beloved mountains and snowboard in the winter.  Jobwise, it's possible to end up in Utah or the D.C. area.  It's all up in the air right now, although we'll be here for awhile longer to finish school.  If I have a choice I'll definitely look for the crunchiest state I can, but I may end up not getting much say in the matter...
DS is only 15 mos. old, but I'm gleefully diving into unschooling and waldorf/simplicity parenting research and planning all kinds of things for when he gets older and when we add more kids to the family. The one big thing I worry about is if we end up living in a state with really strict homeschooling laws--like NY, for example.  I was homeschooled while my family lived NJ because the laws were not restrictive at all, but when we moved to NY, my mother quit and sent us...
Just jumping in to say: Let go of guilt!  First of all, when you know better, you do better.  You should be patting yourself on the back for having the courage to change and go against the mainstream.  We say 'mainstream' so often without really thinking about what it means.  It's a powerful force that sweep most people up in its path.  Second of all, kids are a lot more flexible than we think.  And they notice when parents try harder, apologize, change behavior.  I...
Oh I hope there are some replies to this so I can use them with my active little 15 month old DS.  Subbing!
So I was on the phone recently complaining to my sister about something my mainstream SIL did to me recently (told me I needed to use a blanket to cover up or go somewhere else to nurse my 11 m/o because her kids were staring and they were "too old to see this" now and they were "learning about privacy". Her oldest is 7.) I usually find an ally in my sister because my SIL has rubbed us both the wrong way several times in the past. But this time she told me she had to...
It's gotta be cheaper than trying to get things covered with insurance! I'm trying to find supplemental insurance because I need so much work done (Thanks, State of Georgia for fluoridating my water. If I had any legal ground, I'd sue you for pain, suffering, and fillings.) but I'm totally lost as to who would have cheap plans. I need a couple crowns, which are 50% covered (which is about 50% not enough) by my insurance now, as well as a bunch of fillings which SHOULD...