or Connect

Posts by joates

Quote: Originally Posted by Teenytoona Ok, there've been loads of threads on doing curly hair. Now I've got a new question - how do you manage it in winter? The only way I'm able to do the girls' hair is to wet it down and then comb/style etc. The hair has to be terribly saturated, though, and I"m not comfortable sending them into very cold conditions with wet heads. Any solutions here? What do you all do? Do braid outs or ponytails or buns...
Quote: Originally Posted by heidi526 Joates, Mongolian spots are dark markings that some babies get on their rear end. They usually go away by the kids second birthday. They are common amongst children of Asian, Latino, and American Indian ancestry as they are a trait that has been passed down by the Mongolian people. I have never heard of black people, except those with native american blood, having Mongolian marks, but I don't know a whole lot of...
Quote: Originally Posted by olliepop Last week, my dd (4.5 yrs), ds (16 months) and I went to Babies R Us for a registry gift. The (white) cashier asked, "Are those your children?" I said, "Yes." Then she paused and said, "They're beautiful." Of course, I said thanks. My dd then asked, "Mom, why did she ask if we are your children?" : I said, "Maybe she didn't hear you call me mom," and I shrugged. The cashier then said, "Oh, well lots of people come...
Quote: Originally Posted by Barbamama Yep. There's a whole branch of my family tree with raven hair and blue eyes. They look "black Irish." Funny, b/c they're just "black." Then there are the occasional redheads . . . just to liven things up! Another factor to confuse things even more -- like me, some AAs have features that look a bit Asian. I constantly am asked "what I'm mixed with" because of the shape of my eyes. That's another branch of...
Quote: Originally Posted by KristaDJ Oh yeah it's totally possible for a half black baby to have blond hair and blue eyes. Her hair and eyes may change color and darken still also, that's not uncommon. My baby (1/4 black) didn't have mongolian spots, not all dark skinned babies do, just some. My son looks pretty white but he has darker nipples and genitals, white babies tend to be pink but his are more tan colored. I'd say with a light skinned African...
what are mongolian spots? I'm black and have never ever in my life heard this term.
Quote: Originally Posted by angelbaby1788 Okay so here is the deal, Im not sure if my baby is either mixed with asian or black. Big mistake on my part , now its driving me crazy because i dont see either in her, and they are both dominant over white. The only thing is the Asian boy was on my period, and i know that its very unlikely (but still possible) to get pregnant on your period. My cycle was 26 days. My daughter doesnt have dark ears, a dark...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie OK, then. Too bad for mine I'm on pelvic rest, I guess. I've been on pelvic rest for over a month now, my poor husband is suffering.
Quote: Originally Posted by preciousstone i suspect your doc doesn't believe you have IC (incompetent cervix) because your history of loss is not due to IC - same as me.. i've never had ANY losses. and my docs basically were saying to me - well if you had lost a baby due to IC we would recommend a cerclage but your short cervix could be due to something else - and my thoughts were.. so let me see.. you'd like to wait and see if my baby dies first! then...
Most hospitals are willing to negotiate with a payment plan, just contact your hospital's billing department. The cost of an average normal delivery is $10K, maybe they are anticipating a C-section? Also look and see if your employer has a flexible spending account you can use to determine if maybe you can get reimbursed for some out of pocket expenses. I have an 80/20 insurance plan, with a max out of pocket, which means once I meet my family deductible. If you are...