or Connect

Posts by flightgoddess

Ditto the rotating toys. It works well for us. (Love the idea about the books, something I want to try too!)   As for hitting/being rough with the younger sibling, I think some sort of consequence is needed. You don't have to say punishment, but maybe consequence is a good word. If you don't want to use the words "time out" another option is "take a break"   SOmetimes my son can sit for the whole minute without a timer, some times we need to use an egg timer. So,...
Are there really no other school choices? Charter schools? Scholarships at a private school? Drive out of district?
My son has stuttered a bit too, he is 3 and we have a new baby. So far, his teachers say it is a developmental stage, and just to keep an eye on it. It has lessened a lot in the last 6 weeks, so instead of all day stuttering, it just pops up a couple times a week. I was told that if it is persisting and still occurs 6-9 months from now, to then get further evaluation
My 3 yr old LOVES little pim videos. You can turn on the subtitles for yourself as you don't know any spanish yet. Ther is repetition of words/concepts, and then a mini review/recap after the 'episode' and each disk has multiple episodes. And the disk will sometimes reuse images/words/concepts from other disks and add/build on them. There is no english  (except for reading the subtitles) and it is constructed in a way for pre-literate kids to grasp concepts...
Do both. Some kids just LOVE food :) Stick to breastfeeding for his main 'meals' if that is what you want but also include him at the table with the family at mealtimes/snack times. Offer little bits of safe foods from the family meals, but perhaps also have something mashed/pureed to feed as well. If you can stand the mess, as the baby gets older and a little more coordinated, give them their own spoon. I started giving my lil guy his own spoon and letting him feed...
It may be an age thing...I remember hating to practice (probably mostly because my older sister was in charge of 'making' me do it after school, etc. until i got to about 5th grade...then i was more  advanced, got to choose more of my own interests, etc.
Ditto starting early with the utensils. Started giving my lil guy his own silverware around 18 mo, of course he was quite messy, but by 2 yrs old, he could use them pretty well, and now at 3, the only thing he is still 'messy' with is stuff like soups. Also, around 2, I got him some small cups at the thrift store (not shot glasses, but closer to that size) and he almost always uses an open cup now, normal size, at 3 yrs old.   We try to sit down together to eat...
As for spelling, do what my mom did. She wouldn't help me, I had to look it up every time in the dictionary. I got tired of getting out the huge book, I started to memorize the ones that always gave me trouble!
I am dissapointed that the article leans so much to one side. Swaddling is a tool, to be chosen by the parent as wanted or needed, just like using a pacifier, or bottle/formula, cosleeping or not, etc. Parents need to use the tools that will work for them and for the baby.  I did swaddle my first, and I will swaddle my second if they tolerate it and it is needed. It really did help during the 'colicy' stage/nursing strike to let baby and momma get more night time...
Also, if the suction is adjustable, make sure it is not turned up too high!  Better to have lighter suction, and get less milk, than to have the suction too high and hurt and potentially damage your breasts. I am assuming it is the suction that is hurting....though in some women (me) I though my let down was more forceful/almost painful when I pumped...but that was just during let down and got much better when baby was older.   Do you use a pacifier?  It may help...