or Connect

Posts by makuahine

I read the thinking moms revolution article- and actually went on to read many more of their blogs- and while I'm still not sure of a direct vaccination/autism link (though it certainly seems likely it could play a role in susceptible children), I am so saddened by the way mothers are dismissed.  NO ONE knows a child better than their mother (in most cases), and it is horrible to have these women, who saw an immediate change after their baby was immunized, dismissed and...
Thanks for all the information- really makes me realize how little I know about allergies and allergy testing. Going to have to do some research!
Thank you for the helpful responses. I think we will go ahead and test for the top allergens at some point in the next few months. I am just worried that he will have an anaphylactic reaction to something (since his reaction to dairy was so strong) so I want to see if he tests positive to the things that tend to cause the most severe reactions, like peanuts. I will also talk to the pediatrician about having an epi pen on hand, especially since we live in the middle of...
Hi! My son is 11 months old and has had eczema since he was about three weeks old. He clearly has food allergies- when I gave him a bite of yogurt at ten months old, his first dairy, he got red splotches on his face and broke out in hives on his hands and feet. I suspect wheat may be an issue, too, as well as who knows what ( he's still nursing and I have tried various elimination diets to help his eczema with no success). Anyway, pediatrician recommends testing his...
Thanks for the responses.  Yeah, I kind of figured this is normal, but it's just different than my daughter was.  I was suddenly afraid that maybe he had some circadian rhythm problem, or something like that, and that he would never fall into a sleep pattern.  I'm also beginning to suspect, unfortunately, that like my daughter he just doesn't need as much sleep as the average baby.  Anyway, thanks again....
Hello, I'm just wondering if a six week old should have more of a regular pattern of sleep at this point.  My DS, who is six weeks tomorrow, seems to have absolutely no schedule at all- no naps at the same time every day or for the same length, no real patterns to when he wakes at night or when he has a good night or wakeful night- and while I'm fine with this (though it would be nice to be getting a bit more sleep!), I'm just wondering if it's normal.     For...
My dd walked on her toes (maybe 50% of the time?) for a couple of months- 14 to 16 months or so. I didn't think anything of it, supposedly my mom and sister were also big toe walkers, but she happened to do it while I was at a chiropractic appointment and my chiropractor said that in toddlers it can be a sign of carrying too much tension (I can't remember how she phrased it exactly) in the neck. She did a small adjustment on dd (she specializes in pediatric chiro), and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Deborah There is a hitch for the pro-vaccine argument when they accuse non-vaxing parents of being free-riders on herd immunity. If vaccination were totally risk free, and completely effective, then it would make no difference if some people didn't vaccinate. It would be like choosing not to use seatbelts--people would make a choice that didn't affect anyone else. But the accusation admits that vaccines carry a risk and...
Dd went through a similar sleep fighting stage around nine months. It was when she was starting to crawl and I think she just had a hard time shutting everything off (she still does but now she doesn't fight sleep, just wakes up every two hours ). The ergo baby carrier (though I suppose any comfy baby carrier would work) saved us. At bedtime, which was flexible and depended on her tired cues, I would put her in the ergo, make sure all the lights were out, and have...
Quote: Originally Posted by Louisep YES!! I believe teething can make children sleep so poorly. DS got the remainder of his teeth in a few weeks ago and is now only waking once or twice a night and even STTN one time! DS never ever showed any discomfort during the day and motrin etc never worked at night, so I too always wondered if it was teeth or not. However, I think that now ds is consistently sleeping better, I can conclude it was the teeth. I...