or Connect

Posts by Dixielane

Quote: Originally Posted by stayo22 Oh, how in the two years since my daughter was born how I've wished I could "Unknow" things. At times I find myself jealous of my mainstream friends - they just haul their kids up to every WBV for every vax and NEVER think twice. I on the other hand just watch them all and never mention I am NOT doing what they are doing. But let me tell you what, my child is so much healthier than all of my friends. And no, that...
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyaW I know pertussis is scary in an infant. However, I do want to point out one of the reasons I would not consider the P part of the DTaP. The majority of the population is vaccinated, and pertussis is on the rise anyway. You can find this info on the CDC's website. I have spent some time learning about this disease and how I would treat it if we contract it. There are threads in the stickies you can read about this. Also,...
You hear all the time "protect your infant from pertussis", "pertussis is deadly in small infants under 6months" etc etc. But here's my million dollar question: WHY do they say this, if the vaccine is not effective until the 3rd dose? From http://children.webmd.com/whooping-c...e-dtap-vaccine After the third dose -- given at age 6 months -- children have 80% to 85% immunity against pertussis. Protection lasts from three to five years. The DTaP shot also protects...
Thanks for all the links Marnica. Yes germs are a worry in general, maybe I am OCD! haha! Just because I vaccinate her for pertussis, diptheria, and tetanus, doesn't protect her from the 1000102883632 germs around the house, around town, and certainly not against common illnesses like colds. Everyone keeps telling me to follow my heart, listen to my inner "voice", figure out what it is *I* want to do, but that is the most frusterating part. I can't decide, for sure,...
Thanks everyone. This is just kind of making me nuts. My husband and I talked more, and while in church, it dawned on me that I AM actually worried more about a couple things.. mainly pertussis and HIB. I worry often about germs with her.. we have over 1500 people in my church in close proximity and today I felt nervous. (it was our first time to take her, actually) So I just don't know what to do.
What does a non-vaxxer do in the event of an outbreak? Say, what happens if we have a biological warfare (isnt that what its called when an enemy plants a disease bomb?) and we get a smallpox outbreak, which we know was devestating. If that happened, I don't think one vaccine would do anything... so would nonvaxers essentially...be screwed? (for lack of better word! lol!) Sorry I am asking random questions. I am in a debate of sorts on another board and this came up. I...
Someone from another forum just brought up something interesting. How can we be sure non-vax'd kids are not just simply protected because of those who DO vax? What would happen if everyone didn't vaccinate? Anyone have info on this?
Quote: Originally Posted by xmasbaby7 I think everything feels so crazy those first six months of parenthood. I have come a long way from the complete terror I felt those first few wbv's, given that I don't even go to the doc for most of my child's illnesses now and don't do wbv's anymore. Even though I am a real skeptic when it comes to modern pediatrics, I still needed an authority figure like the ped or my midwife say "you are doing a good job"...
I also keep buying time. I felt relief when I cancelled her last appt, and the doc said "Okay, see you at 4months". Now that 4months has rolled around, I want to wait till 6months. Is it bad I am doing it this way? I am just scared to do it and the older she gets the more I feel like "OK, I can do this nonvax thing". When they are fragile, its so easy to let doctors or other peoples just scare you into anything, good or bad.
Quote: Originally Posted by xmasbaby7 I, too, took my time in getting to a place where I felt solid in my choices. I had a hard time believing when I began my research that vaccines weren't a good thing. So then I settled on selectively vaccinating starting at 1, but by the time my babe was one, I could already see a difference in a healthy intact immune system and those of the other babies around us who were vaccinated but whose parents still...