or Connect

Posts by Proxi

I second (or fourth or fifth or whatever we are on lol) having your child evaluated by an early intervention just to be sure everything is going well.  That said, I also wouldn't worry too much.  I only said the word "No" when I was 2, and I tested as gifted when I was in middle school.  My husband didn't talk until he was about four(he had his own language from about 2-4 which he spoke with this sister.... they were very close in age and had the twin language thing...
There are two districts in our city, and in my district there are three year-round schools.  Their summer vacation is July 1-August 7, and they get a weeks vacation in October, and extra days for their Christmas and Spring vacation, and a few extra days throughout the year off as well.  The traditional schedule doesn't have the October break, and the summer vacation is July 1-August 31.  I would totally prefer Year-round but the school I love doesn't offer it :-(!
Sounds a bit like the Collaborative Problem Solving method used by Dr. Ross Greene.  He wrote a book called Lost at School that is fantastic, but the audience is more for teachers.  I think he also wrote one for parents but I don't know what it is called.
Any other people live without a vehicle?  My husband and I don't own any vehicle, and we are constantly being harassed about it.  Anyone else have the same issue?  We don't have one by choice, but by necessity, but people don't seem to understand that.  
Fingers crossed that this works - On page 5 of this document there is a great pre-screening chart to tell the difference between the two: http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/EJ860954.pdf
I have issues with any movie about infidelity... I feel it is portrayed so often in Hollywood that people start to feel like it is normal to have it happen in marriage at least once or twice, u know? I thought it was amazingly well-acted... but unfortunately, all the characters annoyed me. I couldn't be friends with any of them in real life except for Joni (the daughter). Nic seemed to be way anal-retentive, Jules way too insecure, Laser was just aggravating. And...
I don't really have too much information except for my own experience. I was diagnosed with gall stones after one HORRIBLE time with them... severe pain and such. They kept occurring, and my symptoms were mainly severe pain and bloating. The diarrhea and vomiting not so much, but I did feel very nauseous. Anyways, it got to a point where I was having attacks twice monthly, so they recommended I get the surgery done. I hate surgery. I have only had my wisdom teeth...
Quote: Originally Posted by whatsnextmom Ironically, some research shows that the exceptionally gifted (girls in particular) are actually quite good in social situations. I guess it depends on what you mean by "social difficulties." Yes, they may have more difficulties in finding true peers but many manuever very well in any social setting, end up quite popular and well-liked.... no social awkardness at all. I think it really depends. I mean,...
Quote: Originally Posted by connieculkins This comment really stands out to me and I'd like it if you could expand upon it. In the literature it is accepted that it only the exceptionally gifted who have social difficulties. I don't know if I can explain in short form, but I will do my best! When I was in elementary, things were okay. By the time grade six rolled around, things weren't so good. I distinctly remember when I had scored very...
I haven't had a chance to read the article, but I am going to soon. I don't doubt the truth of it. I am mildly gifted, nothing cool and exciting and super smart, but enough that I didn't fit in with my peers until I learned to dumb myself down. I was diagnosed as gifted outside of the school setting, but was never officially "diagnosed" in school. I performed very well on any test I was given, and any assignment I chose to do, but most of it was super boring. I hated...