or Connect

Posts by bezark

I would give gift cards - Amazon or Visa/American Express. I would not give an itunes gift card. If they like music and know their way around a computer, I'm willing to bet they don't pay for their music.
Ikea has laminate for $0.65/square foot. I'd go with that and call it a day. Carpet is gross whether you have dogs or not. I'd rather see the worst kind of scratched up laminate than even brand new carpeting in any main living areas. I don't know if your house actually smells or not, but I do know that living with a smell constantly makes you not notice it, and it may be very strong to others who aren't used to the smell. My parents' house never bothered me...
What do you love/hate about them? Are they difficult to keep clean? The kitchen in the house we're buying is.. yuck. We have big plans to completely remodel and expand it in the future, but we're looking for a cheap, quick fix for the short term. There's no getting around the need for new counter tops, but we don't want to spend a ton of money for something we're going to rip out in a 1-3 years. However, we also don't want something we can't live with if it ends up...
Check apartmenttherapy.com. I've seen quite a few posts about this lately.
Currently, all of our main living space is tiled. When we move, it'll be hard wood. I use a Swiffer Wet Jet with a washable microfiber cloth (I just folded a dollar store microfiber cloth and sewed some velcro onto it). I hate the smell of the Swiffer solution, so I just fill the bottle with vinegar and water. DH hates the vinegar smell, but it goes away as soon as the floor dries.
Oh boy.. I loves me some IKEA. This is my favorite light fixture. I just got it for my new dining room, and I'm seriously considering getting another for the master bedroom. All of our dressers are from the Hemnes series. They're really well made as far as IKEA furniture goes, and the drawers are a good size. I realize not everyone shares this feeling, but I LOVE the Trollsta sideboard, and it will soon be going in my dining room. In yellow, no less. I wish...
We have a reed diffuser on the back of the toilet, and I make sure to wipe down the outside of the toilet every few days. I don't think DH was every potty trained correctly and refuses to sit down so it can't get pretty stinky fast.
Dh and I have been shopping for our first home off an on for years, but the credit definitely prompted us to really get our butts in gear. It turns out, however, that we may not qualify. We're buying a house from my grandparents and that's not allowed. We're going to look into just having DH's name on the paperwork since I have nothing to contribute financially anyhow, but we shall see. I understand the reason for the no-ancestors rule, though. We're actually going...
Quote: Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy Bezark - You should find an energy auditor locally and get good solid advice. (PM me your location is you need a name.) The auditor will also have names of local contractors. Some of the jobs can be done more easily before you get settled and have your final paint coats in place. If there is no knob and tube wiring, the walls can be insulated with dense-pack cellulose. This is done from inside or outside...
Sorry to hijack - We're buying a 110 year old house from my grandparents very soon. The heating costs are ridiculous. Their oil budget (over 12 months) is $380/month this year. I know that part of the reason for this is that the place is really big, and the windows - if they're not original to the house then they haven't been replaced since at least the 1950's - but it's just an old, plaster-walled house that was someone's summer home a long, long time ago. The attic...