or Connect

Posts by tribord

Shanesmom, i think your supplement regimen sounds great. If I may ask, what brands of calcium, probiotics, multi, and vit. C do you give your toddlers? My 2-year old will take fish oil and vitamin d drops but I haven't found a good calcium or multi for him, and can't get him to take the vit. C I've got for him.
Well, putting aside the asking/ not asking question, which I can get into later with her, I think, I guess I am specifically wondering how to explain that those parts should not be touched by other people (except parents/doctor while cleaning, etc) , even with her permission. Like why is this touching just a grown-up thing and not a kid thing? I have been in the habit of explaining the reason behind most rules so I guess I set myself up for it a bit.....
I am having trouble explaining to DD why it is not Ok to touch other's private parts or for others to touch hers. And yes, she has specifically asked "why?". This seems like such a silly question, because to me it is so intrinsically wrong, but I am having trouble putting it into words..... Can someone help me with the wording? She just turned 5 and I've been very open with her about all these things as they come up, just until recently she accepted "it's the rule"...
I don't have a comment specifically on your DD, but I do want to say that preschool isn't necessarily directed-play. My children spend most of their preschool time playing with whatever they want. The teachers redirect when necessary (throwing toys, etc) and help the children manage conflict when necessary. Just make sure you find a play-based preschool and not an academically focused one. Most 2-year-old programs have a 6-hour per week option (2 mornings a week),...
Does he like licensed characters?  Usually I am not a fan of them and my kids haven't seen those movies but they love them anyway.  A Toy Story, SpongeBob or Cars bandaid might be appealing enough to leave on.....
I had the same problem with my 2 who are 2 yrs., 8 months apart and was never really able to resolve it. Sometimes my son would fall asleep in the car, or my husband could try and work from home and watch our daughter while I put my son down. Now that my daughter is 5 she can often ( but not always!) be quiet while I try to put my son down but he doesn't nap much anymore. I have heard some people have had luck with audio stories. That was really hit or miss for us but...
For that age we liked giving subscriptions to Wild Animal Baby from the National Wildlife Foundation, but I just looked and saw that NWF has replaced Wild Animal Baby and My Big Backyard with Ranger Rick, Jr., which I'm not familiar with.   Babybug and High Five are the favorites around here.  The covers always seem to fall off of Ladybug, which annoys my DD.  She barely glanced at her Zootles, but she is not super-interested in animals.  I thought it was a nice...
I suppose when you consider the original geographic distribution of the olive it wouldn't make sense that it is an essential food for humanity, that definately makes me feel better about our lack of EVOO consumption.   I appreciate the thoughtful replies.  Kathy- your suggestions sound great.  We try to limit our grains (although do indulge in the bread and EVOO/balsalmic vinegar at restaurants a couple times a year...yum!), and I do use EVOO on salads, I just haven't...
The whole family takes our HVBO/FCLO blend with dinner, although we take a pretty small amount.  We all get 1/4 teaspoon or so of honey afterwards and then dessert (usually fruit).   The cinnamon flavor has gone over much, much better than the chocolate flavor. 
Reading the olive oil thread below got me thinking... how necessary is it?   I know I shouldn't cook with olive oil, and I just don't have much use for it otherwise, I guess.  We eat very little of it at our house and I'm wondering if I should make an effort to change that.   We get plenty of healthy fats in our meats, from lard and bacon fat, coconut, dairy, and avocado.  Am I missing something by not consuming olive oil?