or Connect

Posts by mommariffic

I don't understand the Elf - the idea is that he watches the kids to make sure they behave right?   My mom got it for DD a few years ago but my dog (pup at the time) promptly ate him and he hasn't been replaced. We do an Advent calendar filled by fairies/elves too (or mommy depending on the day) and that's enough for me. Finding ways to hide some little stuffie would be too much! Our advent is filled with either adventures or crafts (I watercolored sheets of red...
We have the Ipad (the older one) that I got super discount when I did a writing job for someone...   That said, the kids love it. I don't really use it for anything but my two and five year old could happily play on it for hours if I let them. There's a ton of educational applications we love for DD (astronomy, nature type things) and I love the puzzles for DS because he LOVES puzzles but I hate buying them and loosing the pieces (which is unavoidable) 
I do limit television.    I'm not a fan of banning anything, and in today's world it just seems unrealistic to me. That said I hate commercials and most of the new media that's available for kids today so I pick and choose what and when the kids can watch.  In the nice weather we barely turn the television on at all because we are OUTSIDE! In the barn, in the fields, in the yard etc...the kids don't ask for it, and I don't bother offering it. In the winter we tend to...
Oh I found another gift DH would love - it's a science cooking kit (combining two of his favorite things) it's a little pricey but if I cut something else out and got him that? 
I found it on this website   http://www.baconaddicts.com/products/bacon-chocolate-sampler-pack
We have all these gift posts but I didn't see one about what us momma's are swooning over : )     I love the Nikki Mcclure calendars so I hope for one for 2013   http://www.leewolfepottery.com/products/wheel-thrown-ceramic-casserole-birds-nest   (he above which is so so so beautiful! It's a long shot (it's expensive, my DH probably forgot I mentioned it, etc) A pair of wool lined slippers Some books on homemaking and animal husbandry     And...
I am addicted to Pinterest and making lists of what I want to do so I understand your pain.   I love to read, so that's what I do. I read and read and read and read and read and read. 
DH is impossible. He is into quite a bit; making art, video games, making music...but he doesn't really need anything. If he's very much wanting something he buys it himself...   But I managed to snag him some things!    I got him Make Magazine's "Fitness for Geeks" book, and a few others on Paleo eating, and some Lego sets he can do with DS and DD. He loves Legos and it's something the kids + him can do together so it's sort of a combined gift (although my kids...
I finally remembered the name of the raddest blocks every we saw at the Maker Faire.   http://www.murrahwoodcraft.com/pages/thinker-linkers-main.php   My kids were drawn to them and played for a looooong time. They are beautiful! They made a fairy tower, a serving station, a trap for DS :) So enthusiastic and wonderful for indoor play. I wanted to mention them in my original post----we just got the set today as a Christmas gift 
My 5 year old thrives on rhythm, but not routine. I try to keep our days as loose as possible and I'm fairly laid back -- I've learned that if she's happily playing pretend with her dolls for over an hour to LEAVE HER even if I'm itching to do something else. So yes having more of a rhythm is what works at this age. I also try to roll with her interests which are science, math, and reading at the moment (different aspects of it but they fall into that general...