or Connect

Posts by mommariffic

When we had our wedding, I had plenty of friends who were..to put it blankly, pretty poor. One gave me a beautiful vintage teacup set that I still treasure, and the other gave me something homemade that was lovely and again, something I treasure..both because they were thoughtful (I love handmade things, and I love tea sets!) That said, I would look and see if (like the other poster said) you can make something off the registry, or just plain ol'e make something...
I don't actively limit it but our rhythm does include "media" times during the day, and it's not really on besides those periods.   In the morning I work (freelance writer) for an hour (sometimes two) and that's "media time" for the kids. They can use the Ipad, watch a video, or something along those lines..its sometimes longer than an hour, NEVER longer than two and when it's off it's off and we go on with our day homesteading, playing and adventuring. If we need a...
We've been lazy. Our days are literally the same - we wake up and I have my morning coffee/writing time while kids do media (Ipads, computer, a video etc..) than we are either on the pool, on an adventure, or doing homesteading stuff. We had a wee bit of a heat wave and the pool water was like 80-something degrees so I couldn't get my kids OUT of it! This week we are going to be dog-sitting a little dog (for cash, great responsiblity for kids too) going to a bubble show,...
Sometimes I go, sometimes I don't    There's a children's thrift store a few towns over and I've gotten some majorly awesome buys there for the kids -- Liberty of London flowerly dresses for DD for the summer, Plan Toys city sets (to add to my sons growing collection) for dirt cheap..the list happily goes on and on. Our most recent was a Crazy Coupe for our son for $10 and a pair of formerly $65 rollerblades for DD! So for the kids I love them love them love...
I love birthdays - it's a super special day for the children     We do a children's party and I try to make it magical (and themed if requested..) this year my son had a "robot party" that had to change to the park last minute because we had work on the roof, but I gave everyone little robots to take home (originally had crafts to do at the house..) and my daughter wants to do a horse/pegasus/unicorn party in August so my friend is bringing over her horse to...
-Woke up all by myself in our big family bed, after sleeping in until 10am! [Kids are on a two-day adventure with Grandparents]    -Went outside to survey damage by the super rain + thunder storm we had [lots of rocks flew down my hill because of flooding + the goats got out + the barn is a mess...barn work all afternoon!]    -Sat on the couch with my big ole' German Shepherd and had a snuggle.   -Bought movie tickets online. DATE NIGHT! 
Goats are the easiest, and first thing that came to mind but they ARE surprisingly picky. They won't eat "everything" in sight, so if you're looking for a true lawn mower I'd get a cow, or a sheep. I think a SINGLE Jersey cow could happily live on that much land and with the size you wouldn't have to worry about predators too too much (although we have Coyote, Fox etc and no problem with our goats..) maybe a pair of goats + a cow? You could have nice raw milk too! 
I'm going to join because I NEED to stop spending -- and like everyone else, my biggest thing is staying a-w-a-y from stores   My goal: to have money LEFT from my weekly budget; no impulse Etsy buys, sticker packs, eating out for lunch multiple times per week etc.    I do need to spend some (homeschooling supplies, food for the week, gas and I am going to eat out only once per week for the entire month)    We shall see! = NO SPENDING!  Totally blew it  only...
Oh summer!    We've been busy, but not too busy.    I guess the biggest news is that I found out I'm (very newly) pregnant with number 3! Still so new, and probably too new to announce but it's a journey and I'm on it good or bad. I'm hoping everything goes well, and I'm feeling okay! A wee bit sore in the boob-area, and a wee bit tired but nothing crazy. We've been swimming a ton *the kids could live in the pool* and that's basically the highlight of our days....
There are loads of great books on herbs for children : ) Our favorites: Walking the World; a Children's Herbal http://www.amazon.com/Walking-World-Wonder-Childrens-ebook/dp/B007Q1CQE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370626947&sr=8-1&keywords=herbal+learning+for+children   We also love the Herbal Fairy series which I believe only comes out once a year. They have stories, journals, and issues of Herbal Roots which is a GREAT zine for kids (especially at an older...