or Connect

Posts by alwayslearning66

We did one internationally and one through the foster care system. For the international process, there were educational groups operated by our agency that were most helpful, if not just to be with others in the same boat. With our second, we stayed busy with our first and the time went quite quickly.   Good luck! It will happen and this time will be the fun part of the story you tell your child when s/he is ready to hear their life story.
I'm sorry to say, but patience and acceptance are my suggestions. I say this from the experience of having a 9 year old girl we got at 3.5 from a Russian orphanage. Our 5 year old who has been with us for 2 years is regressing and throwing harmful tantrums equivalent to a 2-3 year old just now, so I see the range of developmental issues. One year is not nearly enough time for much attachment, develpmental catch up, etc.  That would be the patience piece. The acceptance...
I had a similar situation with my foster child in that my older child was in the exact class of a bio cousin upon placement of our younger child. The bio cousin stood up and announced to everyone some nasty stuff about the bio mom (his aunt) of which our daughter did not know. She had innocently brought in a picture of her new foster sibling. Later, the bio mom was released from corrections and also was determined to get back her child (Facebook survellience sure can...
Getting that birth certificate with your names on it is one of the best feelings!
One piece that hasn't been said is what same sex (potential) parents go through. I realize not everyone may be supportive of this family model, but our choices are restricted by jurisdiction far more than straight couples. We started researching fostering in our state and in interviews with social workers, we learned that there is little guarantee that a same sex couple would not be discriminated against. Florida was big in the news at the time, so this was easy to...
Not that you need my input after the wise things already said, but I'd say you should absolutely feel free to turn down this referral. There's always a knee jerk response on the first referral of, "Will we ever get another?!" Even if you know intellectually you will, sometimes the emotional response can be powerful if you've been waiting. Know that you are not responsible for this child. Know that case workers get overwhelmed and like to test out foster families to see...
Ours was 3 when he came. We met him one time the day before in a kinship placement that was very short term. They helped with the transition by talking us up and providing all his things neatly wrapped up in a box. DHHS talks about these transitions in trainings, .We all came together since our older child was eager to meet him and he'd been with children before without any complaints/negative history. That also helped with the car ride since there's an immediate bond...
Holy Cannoli! What about the GAL? Is s/he any help? The AAG was even in our speed dial for awhile, so maybe they could be of help?
Sagewinna mostly answered you. I just meant that if I felt I was innocent (i.e. the tables were turned), no matter how awful my actions have been, I'd want to know  my right to challenge a TPR. 
Oh I am so sorry you are waiting so long. The courts here received more judges during our wait through an appeal which caused it to shorten to 9 months. Our state actually has a statute on how long the higher courts are allowed to take answering the appeal. I was told appeals are denied in 99.99% (or some such high number) of the cases. I presume this is nationwide or there would be far too much funding wasted on this potentially avoidable piece of the process.