or Connect

Posts by AliveMama

I had that problem when DD was that age. The only solution was to not nurse her to sleep. She'd associated nursing to sleep with me going to bed too. So slowly and gently, DH and I worked to get him to be the one who actually put her to sleep. It took about a month (we have no tolerance for letting her cry) but it really helped. I still nursed her, but it was downstairs with the lights on and not a sleeping thing. Then he would take her upstairs and use a sling to...
Our daycare does changes at 9am, 12:00pm and 3pm. Plus they change poops when they happen. DD was in cloth and she was fine with that interval. When I did in home care, the kids I had were in sposies and normally I'd change them at roughly those times. Well, they'd arrive at 8am with a clean dry diaper and unless they pooped in the morning (both kids were morning poopers) I didn't change them until right before naps. I would have changed them more ofter, I use...
I wouldn't do it. If someone asks you, go ahead and tell you. But it's pretty rude to do it.
Quote: Originally Posted by sunflowergirll We use penis and vagina in our house. It seems natural that way. I am perfectly aware of the vulva/clitoris/urethra/perineum/labia/hymen but it seems natural to just use vagina when talking to our 2 year old. We will get into more details when appropriate. Why is vagina "natural"? My interactions with my 2yo DD are basically always about her vulva. I can only think of one time when we talked about...
Quote: Originally Posted by limabean Who is being falsely superior? I think Storm Bride is just explaining (exceptionally well, IMO) how it comes to be that some people use the word "vagina" to describe visible female genitalia. She's not advocating that people continue to do so, I don't think, just saying why they do it. I don't think that using the word vagina is any more defensible than using the word frog, or chichi, or any of the other ones...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I would agree with you, except that, for all the years that I used the term "vagina", I never thought about what that actually applied to. I never thought that my vagina was more important than my clitoris (HECK, NO!!) or labia, or anything else. I simply didn't know a word for the whole thing, and actually assumed that "vagina" did double-duty. Likewise, the men I've known who didn't know the word "vulva" (ie....
Quote: Originally Posted by limabean Meh, some men named by Richard go by Dick and people don't snicker -- they just accept that the same word can have different meanings in different contexts. There was much snickering when our grade 4 teacher (from Brittan) said on the first day of school while doing roll call, "Richard C. Hi! Do they call you Dick?" Now. If he wasn't the biggest jerk in the class, people may not have found it so...
I'm confused. Maybe my insurance works really differently... But if the other person is at fault, the accident won't affect your premiums. So go through your insurance. You don't have to pay the deductible if the other person's at fault. You may have to front the money, but you will be reimbursed. I've been in 3 accidents. 1 was my fault and I had to pay my deductible to get my car fixed and my premiums went up. The other 2 someone else was at fault and I paid...
Quote: Originally Posted by LynnS6 thanks - we are allowing her to have her feelings, but I'm wondering about the balance here between her being able to express her feelings and me being able to retain my hearing. I really can't sit there and hold her for an hour while she sobs about something. She's welcome to sob for an hour if she needs to, but is it unreasonable to ask her to do so in her room after the first 15 minutes? It's not...
Quote: Originally Posted by raelynn30 thanks for some great ideas! i know time and money will be limited, but i just don't want to resort to to many packaged, processed foods. i worked at a center once and was appalled by what they considered "healthy". i have to admit, i myself don't always make the best food choices, but i feel like if i'm going to advertise that i serve healthy meals , then i'd better follow through, KWIM? thanks for the ideas so...