or Connect

Posts by lmonter

Crunchy and natural-minded, yes.   There's pockets everywhere, you just have to do some poking around. Liberal...  the prevailing attitude is likely too DIY/personal responsibility for that to *really* take hold I think (except maybe in Boise where the bulk of politicians are, or Sandpoint where the rich people are pricing out the regular/normal people that had made it a cute town before it was invaded/made popular).  Heck, I only know one friend out of, well, more than...
  Sorta.  It can take some digging, and some of the good docs are retiring, but there's still folks around.  It's becoming easier to find the 'alternative' people (holistic dentist, a doc who doesn't push vaccines, etc.), local food options have exploded in the last few years (CSA's were practically unheard of four years ago, now they're everywhere if you know where to look), the grocery store options are also plentiful (Grocery Outlet, Winco, Super 1, Fred Meyer, an...
I joined up in early 2004.  I remember it was the heyday of the Diapering forum.  USAmma, I finally went through my bookmarks and deleted your blog link several months ago (no posts since like 2009).  Was wondering how school had ended up going for you.  :)
I have four kids, so for me, bulk is the name of the game.  My hubby and I just troll craigslist until we find the right magical freezer that pops up.  Right now, we've got a 1984 21cf Gibson in the garage, and a 1984 13cf GE in the laundry room, both amazing CL finds, and just the right price ($100 and $35 respectively).  And a 2011 7cf Haier from Costco that we need to sell (got that one out of desperation back then, nothing popped on CL that fall when we needed...
How much do you spend on groceries per month? Around $900-$1000, give or take.  Two adults, four children (3.5yo, 5yo, 7yo, 10yo), three of which aren't even teenagers yet and eat more than I do.  We also perpetually have my mom visiting which bumps it up to 7 mouths, and my 'charity' of choice is food.  When a friend or acquaintance is having a rough time for whatever reason, I show up with freezer meals (breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, plus snacks like muffins or...
Bourbon Molasses Chicken from the OAMM site.  There's another grilled pork recipe we've gotten from there too, but it's wandered off and I can't remember it's name.  Very yummy.  We also rotisserie chicken on our grill, so easy (well for me, since the grill is hubby's toy).
I lost count after the weekend of 119 jars (mostly peaches?) a few weeks back, haven't updated my yearly tally yet (and I'm on a 2-3 year rotation with some stuff - I haven't had to can tuna since pre-Fukushima, mine's the non-radioative stuff, yeehaw).  Today I finished tomato sauce (uh, over 21 jars?) from two boxes of tomatoes, have green beans I need to can, and am desperately hunting craigslist for another upright freezer.  My half a cow, pig, 80lbs of chicken, year's...
I love our local u-pick places.  I've kind of ferreted out the ones I do and don't like, who's overpriced and who's not, what's worth buying at the farmer's market vs. driving an hour to a u-pick place with four kids, etc.  Just takes time to find/figure out, and I have no qualms sharing my experiences with ladies in my mom's groups that are new to the area.  Local u-pick strawberries, fully ripe! (unlike the ones at Costco that are still a third white) are much, much...
Pretty basic stuff...  we have two window A/C units.  One goes in the kitchen window which is on the main living level of the house.  That gets turned on first thing in the morning when we button up the house. At night, all the windows are flung open, fans in the windows, air moving as much as possible to cool off the house as much as possible.  During the day, the kitchen window A/C's on, all the windows and curtains are closed, try not to use too many lights or have...